VMP or KB or Whipple?

Mustang289

Established Member
Not trying to start a thread war here, but I'm looking at roughly 600 RWHP with similar torque for long term project. Reading good things about the TVS 2.3 blowers, KB and Whipple have been around a long time and have good products. I live in Virginia, so I've got to deal with emissions testing, only thing I don't like about TVS is EGR delete.

I know all three choices are good, thoughts comments about which is the best choice?

SSChris NY

Established Member
Whipple 2.9 and U have room to grow and properly tune, you won't have any problems with your Emission Testing

03SVTscott

Established Member
I'm curious on this too. I think there was a thread on this a while ago comparing these 3.

To add to this I'm curious what people think are the correct mods around a new 2.3 s/c? Id think you need a different mass air meter probably sct2600, 60 lb injectors, how about fuel? What do people do? Replace the fuel hat/sender? Which one? A bap would get you there right but is that the correct way?

mrose75

Established Member
I'm curious on this too. I think there was a thread on this a while ago comparing these 3.

To add to this I'm curious what people think are the correct mods around a new 2.3 s/c? Id think you need a different mass air meter probably sct2600, 60 lb injectors, how about fuel? What do people do? Replace the fuel hat/sender? Which one? A bap would get you there right but is that the correct way?

Yes, bigger MAF and injectors. I went with the SCT 2600 and 80lbs injectors. I also went the BAP route, bun I believe the general consensus is it's safer to upgrade pumps. I may address that down the road. For now I just need to get the damned thing on.

And for the record, I went Whipple over TVS because I'm military and could very easily find myself in a state that requires emissions testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrose75

Established Member
Not sure how that happened.... Edited my post and it became a double post. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If you're looking for just around 600whp, I'd say go with the TVS. I've seen a lot of them make very good numbers on pump and e85. I don't know why so many of the guys here care about emissions, our hobby is cars, modified cars at that and you guys are worried about emissions?? Lol. All my performance cars I've owned never had cats and were heavily modified so I know they won't pass emissions test. I don't stress about it because I just pay someone a little extra money to make it "pass" and that's it, don't have to worry about my car not passing and I don't get stress out over it like a lot of guys here.

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
For me a TVS wont work....I have emissions and will fail with egr codes turned off. Its a shame but whatever. On the flip side I bought a super low mileage 2.3 whipple for 2500 and did 60lb inj, 2800 maf, stock pumps with bap. Car makes 600hp/550trq @ 17psi, 18 degrees timing. Tuned myself.

....now I'm wanting to go return setup and run e85. Maybe down the road I'll go 2.9 whipple.

....if you buy a new blower, go for the 2.9. If you buy used......find the best deal you can.

kierrea35

Established Member
Yes, bigger MAF and injectors. I went with the SCT 2600 and 80lbs injectors. I also went the BAP route, bun I believe the general consensus is it's safer to upgrade pumps. I may address that down the road. For now I just need to get the damned thing on.

And for the record, I went Whipple over TVS because I'm military and could very easily find myself in a state that requires emissions testing.

As long as you have out of state plates, you won't have to worry about it. Even in San Diego.

03SVTscott

Established Member
If you're looking for just around 600whp, I'd say go with the TVS. I've seen a lot of them make very good numbers on pump and e85. I don't know why so many of the guys here care about emissions, our hobby is cars, modified cars at that and you guys are worried about emissions?? Lol. All my performance cars I've owned never had cats and were heavily modified so I know they won't pass emissions test. I don't stress about it because I just pay someone a little extra money to make it "pass" and that's it, don't have to worry about my car not passing and I don't get stress out over it like a lot of guys here.

I hear you on the emissions issue. My dad use to inspect my cars so I had absolutely no problems. My dad is since retired and now I go to a firestone (just for inspection NOTHING ELSE) the guys there are really cool and love my car. For the visual part they will say that my off road prochamber has cats on it, but if they can't pass it through the computer, I'm screwed. In NYS, I don't think there is a way around this either. In other words it's not a matter of just throwing the guy a couple extra bucks. If it fails in the computer, that's it. They won't be able to put a sticker on the window because the corresponding info will not be there. Also NYS has been real tough this year on emissions. A number of my buddy's that have tuned cars have had issues.

SSChris NY

Established Member
I hear you on the emissions issue. My dad use to inspect my cars so I had absolutely no problems. My dad is since retired and now I go to a firestone (just for inspection NOTHING ELSE) the guys there are really cool and love my car. For the visual part they will say that my off road prochamber has cats on it, but if they can't pass it through the computer, I'm screwed. In NYS, I don't think there is a way around this either. In other words it's not a matter of just throwing the guy a couple extra bucks. If it fails in the computer, that's it. They won't be able to put a sticker on the window because the corresponding info will not be there. Also NYS has been real tough this year on emissions. A number of my buddy's that have tuned cars have had issues.

I'm in NY as well and so far there no way around fooling The State Emission test as of yet and all but one readiness test is allowed not to be ready, no EGR, no Cats, Evap. system, 2nd o2 sensors etc. and U fail, what I have found people doing is using other cars to pass the emission test and using there inspection stickers, that won't work either, as the LEO's have a way of scanning your plates and they know if your legal or not, as well as not being able to register your Vehicle after your registration is up if you have NOT legally Inspected Your Car, The Bottom line is no more messing around with the Emission test in New York State!

nastynotch483

Established Member
Hope this can help you out a little bit.

2.3 Vmp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29h2SH393GQ&list=UUYmA-U26u3G_pkEBHvHuOOw

2.3 Whipple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhqfcHRU2ZM&list=UUYmA-U26u3G_pkEBHvHuOOw

KB 2.2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHi2tTvNhw&list=UUYmA-U26u3G_pkEBHvHuOOw

All three cars are similar Mods and fuel system wise but if you plan to grow I would looking into the 2.9 crusher and the 4.0 Whipple is pretty awesome set up!

2.9 Crusher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2KS7BP-Bl4&list=UUYmA-U26u3G_pkEBHvHuOOw

4.0 whipple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B15WVbxFuqU&list=UUYmA-U26u3G_pkEBHvHuOOw

Last edited:

SSChris NY

Established Member
I tune my own Car and I run legal cats and all my Emission System are working and Reediness codes are set, been to the track way to many time and run low 10's all day long without polluting the air we brief :0

Black93Fox

Established Member

Might be because a lot of them are military restrictions on bases for emissions aren't easy either not everyone lives in a "easy" area for skating by on emissions testing just a thought.

Black93Fox

Established Member
I have the whipple 2.3 and am just shy of 600 at the wheels. I think main thing here is if your buying used or new. Most of the blowers seem to somewhat close to each other. If your buying new I'd buy the 2.9 whipple it's not much more then a 2.3 and leaves plenty of room for down the road. You get into the bigger blowers then that start messing with streetable also where the boost hits.

Users who are viewing this thread