VMP Triple Pass Dual Fan HE: Fans staying on

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hi guys, just wanted to give everyone a heads up who run the VMP dual fan heat exchanger. Ive had my heat exchanger (purchased new from VMP) since Spring 2015. Fan unit and harness assembly has about 17k miles on them.

About a week ago, i noticed my fans were staying on longer than normal after engine shutoff. After about 5 seconds, the fans would kick off. Progressively got worse as the week went on. Funny thing, the fans would kick off as soon as i popped my hood. Im like wtf?

Eventually even popping the hood had the fans stay on. So, with the fan running i started the car. I verified the IC pump was turning on AND turning off normally when the car was turned off. Via the custom VMP harness, the fans are triggered from the IC pump running.

After i found the pump running normally, i decided to pull the fuses to save my battery. Pulled the first fuse, no change in fan sound. I knew that 1 fan circuit was operating normally. Pulling the second fuse, the malfunctioming fan kicked off.

My theory is the integrated fan relays in the VMP harness are malfunctioning. The relay contact spring is probably weak. The contact is staying engaged instead of opening the circuit up when the relay coil is de-energised.

I have a tech help ticket open with VMP via email. Soon as i know something ill report back.

jdt1970

Established Member
Good to know. I am having this installed by VMP next month. Let us know what kind of resolution you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gulfcoastlifest

Gulf Coast
Hi guys, just wanted to give everyone a heads up who run the VMP dual fan heat exchanger. Ive had my heat exchanger (purchased new from VMP) since Spring 2015. Fan unit and harness assembly has about 17k miles on them.

About a week ago, i noticed my fans were staying on longer than normal after engine shutoff. After about 5 seconds, the fans would kick off. Progressively got worse as the week went on. Funny thing, the fans would kick off as soon as i popped my hood. Im like wtf?

Eventually even popping the hood had the fans stay on. So, with the fan running i started the car. I verified the IC pump was turning on AND turning off normally when the car was turned off. Via the custom VMP harness, the fans are triggered from the IC pump running.

After i found the pump running normally, i decided to pull the fuses to save my battery. Pulled the first fuse, no change in fan sound. I knew that 1 fan circuit was operating normally. Pulling the second fuse, the malfunctioming fan kicked off.

My theory is the integrated fan relays in the VMP harness are malfunctioning. The relay contact spring is probably weak. The contact is staying engaged instead of opening the circuit up when the relay coil is de-energised.

I have a tech help ticket open with VMP via email. Soon as i know something ill report back.
I've purchased and installed the same heat exchanger with no issues sense 2011.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Havent heard back from them yet, but thats what the help ticket was created to find out. I dont want to make a wild ass guess on what type of relay it is. Would prefer to get one from their suppier so i know it just works.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That heat exchanger is made by AFCO and it's no doubt out of warranty. I believe the fans and harness are made by Spal. I don't think Spal offers a replacement relay and it's not a universal type relay. I think you'll end up having to buy the whole harness. I had a similar issue with some Spal fans a few years back. Actually, it was the Spal fan controller. The fans were fine. VMP does have that harness on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread