VMP TVS MAF and fueling requirements..

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Hi Justin. I was going to Send you a pm until I noticed you have your very own seciton now. I have a 2010 with the upper, lower, off road X and afco dual fan and I will hopefully be picking up a bigger blower soon. The TVS obviously has my eye, but I wanted to know what I was going to encouter fuel wise and MAF wise running your new TVS set up with the 10% lower. What kind of power would this be running on pump gas with a 72m TB? Will the 2010 MAF handle it without a MAFIA? Will the car need injectors or just pumps/boost-a-pump?

bull3441

Established Member
Hi Justin. I was going to Send you a pm until I noticed you have your very own seciton now. I have a 2010 with the upper, lower, off road X and afco dual fan and I will hopefully be picking up a bigger blower soon. The TVS obviously has my eye, but I wanted to know what I was going to encouter fuel wise and MAF wise running your new TVS set up with the 10% lower. What kind of power would this be running on pump gas with a 72m TB? Will the 2010 MAF handle it without a MAFIA? Will the car need injectors or just pumps/boost-a-pump?
+1 on this. the maf is my concern as well.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
With a stock lower my TVS can be bolted on to an otherwise stock car, and runs fine with the stock fuel system, provided the stock TB is kept (which limits airflow and keeps the fuel needs low). As soon as you go to a TB, fuel upgrades are needed (with the exception of 11 which can raise alternator voltage over 15 volts based on fuel flow requirements).

In the case of a car with a lower, that definitely pushes you over the limit of stock injectors/stock pumps.

There are two ways to get more fuel from a GT500, run more pressure on the stock injectors (which is done to some extent from the factory) or run a bigger injector and drop the fuel pressure down to 40psi to give the pumps a break. You can do one or the other, you do not have to do both.

On the fuel pump upgrade side, there are options like the new aeromotive 340 pumps, two of those would be a big upgrade. There is the KB BAP, which I like in sub 750RWHP situations.

On the injector side, there are the 60s, which are a little larger than stock, there are the 80s, which are a lot larger, but there are driveability tradeoffs. There are also stock injectors that have been modified to flow 72lb. The stock injectors provide the best driveability and gas mileage since they have the proper port targeting for the GT500 cylinder head, the other injectors can be made to run decent to pretty well, but there are still some small tradeoffs even with good tuning.

On the maf end of things, the 07-09s need some kind of CAI as the maf is pegging in the stock airbox. The frpp 113mm, CnL, JLT 110, all provide enough range for mild setups running the stock lower and 2.5 upper on my TVS. When you go to a lower you need more range. The 123mm CAI varieties provide a lot more range. The option for more range is to use a larger housing or something like my HPX maf sensor which is calibrated for more range. In the case of the 2010s, you can go to a CAI with a larger housing or just drop my HPX sensor in. On the 2011+ GT500s the factory maf is now frequency based and has plenty of range.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So, if we run your TVS with a lower pulley and larger TB, we would need either 72 lb injectors OR a BAP. Are fuel pumps also needed?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Right, one or the other. Fuel pumps could be changed out instead, but are not required in addition to injectors or bap.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Good info Justin. I take it a Mafia could be used on the stock 2010 MAF as well in order to get more range out of it? It is at 955 on the dyno now, and I am sure with the blower it would probably peg.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Ok, another scenario. I currently have a FRPP TVS with the pulley that came on it, frpp cai, and the pro-cal tune. Now, I have a ported stock elbow from Posi and one of your 67mm throttle bodys sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I know I'll need to ditch the procal and have it retuned but by keeping the stock lower and the stock tvs upper pulley will I need a maf or fuel upgrades?

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Ok, another scenario. I currently have a FRPP TVS with the pulley that came on it, frpp cai, and the pro-cal tune. Now, I have a ported stock elbow from Posi and one of your 67mm throttle bodys sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I know I'll need to ditch the procal and have it retuned but by keeping the stock lower and the stock tvs upper pulley will I need a maf or fuel upgrades?

+1 on this as well.
I've got a tvs sitting in living room and been thinking about putting it on with your 2.59 pulley and idler and tune. Keepng stock lower but was wasn't sure about fuel mods. Or keep stock upper and put a lower pulley on to help with torque? Also what kinda power it would make? Not sure if worth the cost over what I have now.
Would I need the idler to take up the slack of the smaller pulley?

Last edited:

breoland

Established Member
+1 on this as well.
I've got a tvs sitting in living room and been thinking about putting it on with your 2.59 pulley and idler and tune. Keepng stock lower but was wasn't sure about fuel mods. Or keep stock upper and put a lower pulley on to help with torque? Also what kinda power it would make? Not sure if worth the cost over what I have now.
Would I need the idler to take up the slack of the smaller pulley?

How many tvs' do you have?

tktlwyr

Established Member
There are also stock injectors that have been modified to flow 72lb. The stock injectors provide the best driveability and gas mileage since they have the proper port targeting for the GT500 cylinder head, the other injectors can be made to run decent to pretty well, but there are still some small tradeoffs even with good tuning.

Justin, can you please explain the "small" tradeoffs with these injectors?

Thanks!

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
For the FRPP TVS with a 2.59 pulley and elbow/TB, no fuel upgrades are needed since it makes over a pound less boost (and 20rwhp less).

Stock injectors give the best idle/driveability/fuel economy. Aftermarket injectors trade some of that off due to their larger size.

Users who are viewing this thread