Void Warrenty

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Does anybody really know what the limitation of the factory warrenty are. Somebody must now the legality behind what we can actually do to the car before we are accountable for any failure that occurs. I fail to believe that just because we install an exhaust system or chip that if the connecting rod fails it is our fault and responsibility to pay for it to be fixed.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I just found this on Diablo's Website
http://www.diablosport.com/fordfaq.html

Will the DiabloChip void my warranty
The DiabloChip will not void or affect the factory warranty in any way. This is a very misunderstood subject in the aftermarket customer circles. There is a law protecting vehicle owners from just this fraudulent behavior practiced by some automotive dealers. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty- Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicles warranty or that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, "what is not covered".

DiabloSport will, upon request, send you a copy of the Magnusson-Moss Act.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/ch50.html#PC50

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
It is what it says. Your warranty is void to the extent that they can show the mod caused the problem. If you chip the car and burn a hole in a piston, they will surely say it was because it was running too lean. If you add a pulley, they will argue the extra boost caused whatever problem you might have. If you water pump fails, I think you are in the clear.

Because these engines are new, and have not be stress tested in the real world, I will wait for at least one year before adding chips or pulleys. Hard to argue the exhaust does any damage. However, if the engine fails and you have a mod to the computer or the boost, you will get blamed, whether it was your fault or not.

I do not believe Diablo when they say that a chip cannot blow your warranty. They also say that you have to run premium fuel once the chip goes in. What happens if you don't and detonation screws up your engine? Whose fault is it? What if they lean it out or advance the timing? Do you want to argue this did not cause engine failure? It is clearly running out of spec. (BTW does the '03 Cobra require premium fuel from the factory or not?)

If we get through a year and engines are not blowing up, I will be happy to mod the hell out of it. I don't mind paying for a blown engine if it is my fault. I do not want to pay for one that is Ford's fault by giving them an excuse to blame me.

A lot of people will say do the mods, and if the engine blows up then just take them off and pretend it was not modded. This is a fine approach, but it amounts to fraud. Of course, voiding your warranty for a mod that had nothing to do with the problem is fraud as well, so maybe it just levels the playing field. I can't really say.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
BTW, what does the Cobra warranty say? ( I don't have mine yet) Do modifications to the engine void the warranty? It might say something to that effect in the warranty itself. I cannot find any warranty info on-line from Ford.

gcawad

Established Member
Ford Warranty Guide; Page 7. What Is Not Covered?

Damage caused by:

altering or modifiy the vehicle - including the body, chasis or components - after the vehicle leaves Fords control

non Ford parts installed after the vehical leaves Fords control. For example but not limited to .....performance - enhancing powertrain chips.

Last edited:

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Note that the warranty cited above is not automatically voided per se by the modification or installation of parts. Instead, consistent with Magnusson Moss, the warranty does not apply to "Damage caused by" such modifications. Therefore, if you install the pulley and the motor blows, you will be SOL if the pulley 'caused' the damage. But if you install a pulley and your rear bumper falls off, you can get the bumper fixed.
In any event, messing with the dealer when the cause of the problem is questionable or there is any possibility that it was caused by a modification is not a pleasant experience. Whether you can prove there was no causation or not, this will be an expensive and time consuming endeavor. Mod wisely.

Last edited:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
There you go. Ford specifically excludes damage caused by performance chips. This is only the first part, however. Second they have to prove the damage was caused by the chip. Which they may or may not be able to do.

Realize, however, that now you are arguing about whether or not the chip caused the problem and your car is sitting in their service department very clearly not being fixed.

It is like litigation. You may have a point, and you may win your lawsuit eventually, but it will take a lot of time and money to get that result. It is better never to have the dipute or go to court at all.

I prefer to have my car fixed, and not have to argue with Ford for a month about whether or not my chip blew up my engine. Especially since I see a crate motor costs $12,000

This is merely my own personal preference. Others I know feel differently, or have a lower threshold for risk than me. As a matter of fact, I think I will join them about 12 - 18 months from now, but not today. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I agree with waiting 12-18 months before doing things that are openly arguable like chip and pully expecially since we don't know how strong these motors actually are. The only problem is we won't be the fastest on the block, but we don't have to worry about something breaking. But I think that exhaust and suspension should be feasible upgrades for now and not violate the warrenty. Also Ford sells allot of performance parts and that might mean as long as you use those parts then they should not void the warrenty.

cubes

Established Member
Can Ford make the arguement that anything that increases the factory horsepower rating will void the powertrain warranty? This can be applied to a full exhaust and even the air silencer.

StreetSnake

Established Member
As has been the case in the past a lot of warranty work is subject to how mod friendly your dealer is. I checked with my salesman and he checked with the tech service writer on the possibility of a catback system voiding the warranty he was advised that at that dealership the warranty would not be voided. Keep in mind catback no more no less:beer:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Anything you do can arguably void the warranty. (Well, those billet headlight knobs prob. won't). Some things are obviously harder to defend than others. Chips and pulleys are going to be impossible to overcome if you burn a piston. If your air conditioner fails, you should be okay. If you add a cat-back and your cats fail, you may have a problem. Maybe not.

One interesting point is that the tranny is only rated to 450 ft. lbs., I think (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG). If you add an exhaust, you are prob. looking at 370-380 rwtorque which translates to 435-447 flywheel torque being fed to the tranny. Ooops. Awfully close to the edge there if the tranny falls off. :cuss:

I think you need to evaluate the mod, what it does, what kinds of problems could reasonably be blamed on it, whether you have good counter arguments, evaluate the risk and then decide if you are willing to accept it. No one can guarantee you are going to receive warranty service once you start changing things:

"Hello Diablo? Yeah, well, see I was using your chip, and I got an extra 25 hp and it really was awesome. Then my engine blew up and I know it was Ford's fault for accidently installing plastic pistons one Monday morning. Well, my dealer won't fix it because of your chip and you guys said on your web site that it would not void my warranty. So I was wondering if you guys would send someone over here to talk to them, or even better send me $10,000 for a rebuild? Click. Hello? Diablo? Hello?"

A daily driver with no alternative mode of transportation prob. should not do any mods for a 5% perf. gain which does not really register on the butt-o-meter. A guy who bought his car to run at the track every weekend and has a couple of extra rides to spare will be happy to risk everything for a throttle body which might add 5 hp and shave .05 seconds off his ET.

I for one feel pretty comfortable with the exhaust. In fact, I plan to have an FR 500 installed BY MY DEALER. And I will make sure they are not going to give me warranty trouble beforehand.

Your threshold of risk is entirely yours to decide. Each person must do their own evaluation and decide what level of risk, hassle, and pain they are willing to accept for more performance.

Good luck to everyone!!! :D

Cobra'03

Established Member
I agree with Cobra03 (my sibling?) about the warranty stuff - I advise caution - I have seen many people waving their warrantry and citing the law in front of a smirking district manager - a warranty is only good if it is honored. I also agree that it is a good idea to shake your car out, maintain a low profile, and fell out the "mod friendliness" of your dealer. My Acura dealer was very cool about mods, my BMW dealer sucked. My 5 previous Stangs were so so, and I found that if I had warranty claims early, any mod gave them an out which only led to a confrontational situation that cause me more grief than the pleasure I obtained form the mods. Air filter, exhaust for me early on.

I think the T56 is good for 500 pounds of torque - it would have to be if used in the Viper.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
My Powertrain Warrenty was voided because of my Supercharger. So, my advise is Take it off before you head to the dealer or deal with a dealership that won't rat you out to Ford.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
One thing to keep in mind...dealerships get PAID to perform warranty work. As a matter of fact...service is much more lucrative than sales. CYA...develop a report with your service department...they know what pays the bills...it is warranty work! It is very easy for them to turn the cheek and submit the claim...and...it PAYS to do so. Go right to the service manager and feel him/her out...you may be surprised at the "I see nothing I know nothing" approach.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Brother Cobra'03. On the Tremec site they show t-56 transmissions with ratings from 330 ft.lbs.to 650 :eek:

I do not know which one is in the '03 Cobra. I thought I saw somewhere that the Cobra one is rated at 450, less than the Viper version. I could be wrong. Does anyone know the answer to this?

92LX5.0

Established Member
I dont think they make jack off of warranty repair. I could be wrong ofcourse........

Users who are viewing this thread