Voodoo oil consumption: 1100miles = from max to min

arsenalrocks

Established Member
changed my oil at 1000 miles, filled it to the max
checked it again at 2100 miles, it is at min

has ford oil catch can, k&n air fitler, and only seen 5krpm or above once or twice.

is this level of oil consumption normal?

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Was is "full" before starting the car with an empty filter? The filter can hold quite a bit, so the level will drop after a fresh oil change once oil fills all the crevices. Also, the level will read lower if you have just shut the car off, should let it sit for a while and see were the level is at. Now, tt won't drop to the point where you'll be at "min" on the dipstick when at the "full" mark, but the reading will change.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^ Good point.

I assumed it had been filled completely.

arsenalrocks

Established Member
I checked the level at work at the same parking spot after lunch, at which point the car will be sitting there for over 3 hours and cold.
the burn rate seems pretty consistent, every 500-600miles or so 1/2 length disappeared.

the inner tail pipes were way darker than outter ones, indicating some oil burning for sure.

now the car is at 2100miles, only seen 5k rpm once or twice, mostly highway driven.
track days this weekend so i will top it up and see if the rings will be 'sealed' after that.

Was is "full" before starting the car with an empty filter? The filter can hold quite a bit, so the level will drop after a fresh oil change once oil fills all the crevices. Also, the level will read lower if you have just shut the car off, should let it sit for a while and see were the level is at. Now, tt won't drop to the point where you'll be at "min" on the dipstick when at the "full" mark, but the reading will change.

IM3CPO

Established Member
Catch can?

has ford oil catch can, k&n air fitler, and only seen 5krpm or above once or twice.

Did you happen to check the oil catch can? Also- do you have both passenger and drivers side?

Voltwings

Established Member
I checked the level at work at the same parking spot after lunch, at which point the car will be sitting there for over 3 hours and cold.
the burn rate seems pretty consistent, every 500-600miles or so 1/2 length disappeared.

the inner tail pipes were way darker than outter ones, indicating some oil burning for sure.

now the car is at 2100miles, only seen 5k rpm once or twice, mostly highway driven.
track days this weekend so i will top it up and see if the rings will be 'sealed' after that.

That doesnt exactly indicate burned oil, it just shows which path the exhaust gas is favoring, especially considering the valves in the exhaust. This isnt uncommon on tips like that. I have a feeling if you lost that much oil in that short of time, it would obviously be burning or dripping. I think what Derek mentioned, or something along those lines, is more the case.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Yeah, you can't judge by the tips as Voltwings said, it just shows where the exhaust is traveling. If you are using Sport mode or driving with the exhaust open, the inner tips may show darker as gases will travel the path of least resistance and the inner tips would be that path when the valves are open.

65sohc

Established Member
Assuming the person who changed the oil can count to ten this is excessive oil consumption, regardless of how it is driven.

65sohc

Established Member
I will semi-retract my previous statement. I just checked my oil and found the level about half way between the two little holes. When the OP said his oil was at the MIN mark that sounded bad, like almost out of oil. In actuality the dipstick has an extremely narrow range, like maybe a quart or so.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Oil

I checked mine yesterday.1400 miles and still very close to the full mark.
It gets run pretty hard and to redline also.

arsenalrocks

Established Member
between min and max it is more like 1/2 qt. i assumed it is a full qt but its clearly not.

also driver side catch can is bone dry, passenger with 1/4''.
track this weekend was told driver side will fill up quick.

I will semi-retract my previous statement. I just checked my oil and found the level about half way between the two little holes. When the OP said his oil was at the MIN mark that sounded bad, like almost out of oil. In actuality the dipstick has an extremely narrow range, like maybe a quart or so.

Voltwings

Established Member
Driver's side can will only ever see flow OUT of the crankcase under WOT. During normal driving, flow goes IN the driver's side valve cover and out the passenger side.

liter of cola

Established Member
my 14' 5.0 used to eat a quart between oil changes, but i drove that bitch hard.

Last edited:

arsenalrocks

Established Member
did two track days over 1G of acceleration from side to side
driver side is barely damp, just a small trace of oil
WOT everytime on the back straight. although i only reved to 7500rpm.

Driver's side can will only ever see flow OUT of the crankcase under WOT. During normal driving, flow goes IN the driver's side valve cover and out the passenger side.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Did a search and found this thread. Seems some of these motors do eat oil for reasons unknown. My car was over a quart low at 3000 miles and my store I work at is doing a oil consumption test and rechecked today at 4100 miles ... 1/2 quart low ... will keep everyone posted

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Talked about at nauseum on the other site. Pretty common for the motor to use oil based on reports from owners. Some attribute it to the low tension piston rings. They seal better when driven hard, and more oil appears to be used in cars that are babied. Has been identified that many other Performance car makes have some oil consumption as well. As of now appears to be par for the course. Check your oil often, redline the car more, and enjoy.

nxhappy

Established Member

not within 1000 miles. I would take it in. Oil could be burning through the rings or the valves.

Users who are viewing this thread