vortech front mount intercooler

2000 gt

Established Member
:poke:Can't seem to find a standard front mount air to air intercooler setup for my 99 cobra with a vortech blower on it. All I can find is the vortech aftercooler. Which I really don't want. Or even get the idea of how that works..... links and pics if u got one would be nice and where can I get a kit for this. Thanks guys :bash:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
If you click on the link to my build thread in my sig can see how mine fits, I'm using a cx racing one

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Vortech doesn't make an air to air set up. You can go Paxton or Procharger, but they're money. You're best bet is to use a CX Racing or Treadstone set up. Make sure you set the MAF up as blow through.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
:poke:Can't seem to find a standard front mount air to air intercooler setup for my 99 cobra with a vortech blower on it. All I can find is the vortech aftercooler. Which I really don't want. Or even get the idea of how that works..... links and pics if u got one would be nice and where can I get a kit for this. Thanks guys :bash:

The after cooler is an air to water heat exchanger mounted inline with the intake. It has a front mount water to air heat exchanger that pulls the heat that builds up from the air being cooled. Very similar to the heat exchangers used in the 03-04 cobras. Uses a pump to circulate the water between the two coolers and it had it's own fluid reservoir. All I hear is heavy and complicated.
Front mounts are usually a custom job. Source the intercooler you think will work best, buy some aluminum tubing once you've figured out the desired diameter and routing, have a shop tig it up. Use procharger set ups as a starting point.

seths99cobra

Established Member
I have a treadstone on my 99. I have the pipe and bov coming off the blower coming down between the fan and the pullies goin into the fmi. Then ran the rest of the pipe from the other side through the passenger side fender

Regulars520

Established Member
Save yourself the time and money and just buy a meth injection kit. If you add a intercooler you will have to spend good money to avoid a cheap china cooler that bleeds down. (Vortech and procharger coolers are expensive for a reason)Not to mention you are going to lose 1-2 psi of boost by adding the intercooler so now you need a smaller pulley or overdrive crank pulley just to regain the boost you lost. If you are running near 12-15 psi plus then spend 300-400 on a snow system and save yourself some issues.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
If you want to intercool your car I have some cold side tubing that fits a new edge. You would still need a MAF, intercooler, etc and you may have to make a pipe. This setup is for an intercooler that has the inlet and outlet on the passenger side of the intercooler.

Stanger00

Established Member
Get the paxton intercooler kit. It's what I run and its a super clean install. No cutting or having to run extra pipes to retain fog lights either. The downside is that it cost 2k these days. That sucks but worth it. I got mine in 2005 for 1500!

Users who are viewing this thread