Vortech Q/A for an 01 Cobra

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Alrighty, I have yet to find a definite answer, so here goes. I would like edumacted responses and not personal opinions if you don't have the answer please! Ha! I'm sure others have questions as well!

Vortech's website says that it is safe to bolt on a supercharger system to 01 Cobras without engine internals modifications. Is this true? My fear is all these people that talk about blown engines and ticking timebombs with our engines. What is the real story?

If I were to bolt on their system that they recommend for a stock 01 Cobra, is it intrinsically safe? There are no plans to alter or even go with higher boost, swaps, drag racing, etc. - just the bolt on system - for a little weekend cruising fun - nothing else.

I and I'm sure others appreciate your help!

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well, no engine is 100% safe ever.

1 tank of bad gas could end your motors life even at only 8 psi.

As long as you are smart about it, an 01 motor with 8 psi should make about 430rwhp and be safe. an injector could fail, a fuel pump could go out, there are tons of things that could happen. Thats why its said, if you plan on buying a blower, make sure you can afford the cost of a rebuild.

again, it should be fine, but anything can happen.

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Yes, if you go with their recommended blower and don't do anything else you will be fine. 100,000 miles out of the car shouldn't even be a problem.

The recommended blower is/was the E-trim. Makes 5-6 lbs of boost. I'm not even sure you if need to upgrade your injectors or not. You probably wouldn't go over 390RWHP. And (not sure on this) I hear if you plug in their chip they program it pig rich. I would still get this veryified by putting the car on the dyno afterward with an a/f reading and timing check. You will want to run the highest premium gas you have in your area (I believe Vortech will ask this before sending you the chip).

I heard from my tuner (if memory serves me) that Vortech is now saying it's ok to go with their SC-trim blower for the 99-01 Cobra's. I think boost is 6-8 lbs here and definitely requires new injectors, MAF, and fuel pump. This blower is just like my S-trim (I'll get into that in a minute), but the way the impellar is cut it doesn't see the boost that an S-trim will. Again, tune is critical as is high octane fuel. This is also a very safe setup as long as you don't start changing pulleys and/or adding power pipes.

Now, stay away from the s-trim if you want the motor to last on stock internals. I'm on borrowed time and that's ok, cause I will be doing a forged block at some point. The s-trim is made for the GT's since they don't rev to 6800 like our Cobra's. You will see boost much earlier and higher boost levels. This kit requires very accurate tuning from a professional (do not use the Vortech tune). I see 13 lbs of boost with the stock pulley.

To explain the gas/octane I've been referring to: higher octane gas burns slower, keeping the cylinder's cooler, which helps prevent detonation. Detonation is what kills motors. Because of my power level I'm running 94 octane...and at times I add a couple gallons of race gas (expensive) to further reduce the chance of detonation.

So, long story short, if you go with an E-trim or an SC-trim Vortech (no aftercooler), stay with their setup, and verify their chip gives you a rich a/f and lower timing, you should have a lot of fun. Once you start itching for more power though....all bets are off.

Hope that helps:beer:

99SVTAddict

Established Member
While I was typing, quadcammer responded....he is right, nothing is 100% guaranteed....even our stock motors. But, assuming the motor is in perfect health and no unforseen issues arise, you should be fine.

Remember, the richer you go the safer you typically are. You will sacrifice power, but it doesn't sound like you want every drop of power you can get.

Just stay smart and don't get greedy.

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Thanks for the responses! The Vortech kit is the V2 SQ E trim producing 8-8.5 psig. The kit comes with everything for install including a new fuel pump, but no new injectors?

I understand the need for good tuning as well as the risks. It's just unnerving to think that one day just one thing gone bad could wipe out the engine. I'm not looking for anything more than the stock Vortech set-up, so things are looking better! No plans for extreme power, I'd more likely upgrade vehicles rather than take the chance. Just some fun for now, something different!

Last edited:

tv's 03

Established Member
My buddy decided to do a vortech w/aftercooler and afm powerpipe. He also has a stock block and internals. He said he was not confortable doing it without the intercooler. It makes 11-12 psi. It also has BBk longtubes, shorty H and flowmaster CB. The result is 488 RWHP and no audible detonation on 93 octane.

Its smooth and powerful. It ran an 11.6 at 123 on Drag radials. its fast as heck.

He has a good tuner too. Cerra Racing is the tuner. He thinks its starts to run out of fuel over 6500 rpm, so he told him to stay away from RPM over that. But he has reved it to 7000 so many times now without a problem. They maved the IAT sensor near the throttle body and programmed the chip to cut timing if it senses a hot intake charge, to further reduce the risk of detonation

To the stock pistons credit, they can run some closer tolerances than forged and the car had a great leak down and compression test with over 50,000 miles on the clock. But the problem with the stock pistons is what happens when they do go, they shatter like glass. A forged piston usually won't shatter so its not as catastrophic when a failure occurs. But forging your motor is no guarantee that it won't blow either, just some insurance is what it is. Nothing can hold up to a major pre-detonation.

The bottom line is if your tune is good and your reasonable on the boost, and have some good safety check in place, you can have a very reliable daily driver with a vortech, but spend the money to have a good tune and tuner, and the aftercooler is a recommended safety valve as well.

Drive it sensably and it can last many miles. This particular friend had a 94 cobra, which also had the same type of pistons in the 5.0 and and it went over 100,000 reliable supercharged miles, and didn't have a special tune or aftercooler. However, with the DOHC he bought from me when I wrecked my 99, he did not want to risk that motor.

99SVTAddict

Established Member
FYI...I had the same issue as your buddy over 6,000 RPM's....the Boost-A-Pump fixed that:beer:

So the V2 SQ (super quiet) E-trim kit huh....I bet you don't see over 8. Closer to 7 unless you have LT's to help it breath. The only forseeable thing I can see would be the clutch. If you plan on taking it to redline often, I would bet that would go. Other than that, an E-trim blower is VERY safe.

I wouldn't worry. Have fun and just do it!!!!:burnout:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
NOTHING IS SAFE!!!! lets not bs this guy.

1 bad tank of gas could ruin his motor. There are 100s of different things that could go wrong and lunch his motor.

I have CP forged pistons, and even that isn't safe.

You want safe, get yourself a NA honda motor.

Once you add boost to any engine you are playing with fire.

If you are gonna add a blower, make sure you have the money and are willing to do a rebuild. Sure it may never blow on you, but there is always a chance.

If you don't want to rebuild it, then stay NA.

99SVTAddict

Established Member
If you are gonna add a blower, make sure you have the money and are willing to do a rebuild. Sure it may never blow on you, but there is always a chance.

I agree with this statement, I truly do.

However, at 7-8 lbs of boost, it is relatively safe. You are coming on strong about "playing with fire" and all. I appreciate that as well as the next guy. The E-trim is a mild blower, and as long as the tune is rich, he backs off timing, runs colder plugs and has the recommended fuel upgrades and runs high octane, he will be fine. There's as much risk of the engine going as there is on a 4V with every bolt on and an agressive tune.

All the people blowing engines or gaskets are the ones that are running blowers not recommended for their particular motor. Just like me...the S-trim is NOT recommended...but here I am at over 500RWHP. Shame on me. I'm ready for the rebiuld, just hoping to get throught the summer before doing the new bottom end.

I think Oli is just playing the angel and I'm playing the devil. "Do it, do it, do it, do it...you know you want to.":p

Last edited:

George Wax

Established Member
My experience 99 Cobra Vortech E-Trim blower (non aftercooled), ran hard as hell for about 1 year..=Engine blew up #8 # 7 piston's went sount (ringland's). Cost $7000.00 for the complete rebuild long block. I was seeing about 8psi with the E-Trim..What does this all mean..Slap a power adder on any car guess what you are rolling the dice very simple..However, safe tune sensible driving, good gas, and you should be alright..Also if you plan to add a power adder..better heed the advice and have a second plan in case your engine does blow up..Bottom Line: stock 99-01 bottom end's are really weak and will give eventually..Again this is my experience I am just being really honest with you..Not cheap once it blow's..

Users who are viewing this thread