Vortech S/C...V-1 or V-2

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
I can tell you that the V2 is not super quiet by any means. You can hear it plain as day. People always comment when I drive by at cruise-ins "Hear that whine!!?"

96vert

Established Member
I think the biggest sound difference between them is at idle. The V2 has differently cut gears (forget what the word is), whereas the V1 has straight gears. The v1 has more of a grinding sound at idle. When you're revving either blower, you'll hear a whine.

I happen to like the V1 sound, but I could also enjoy the V2 sound I think.

AHD

Established Member
V2's have "helical" cut gears. V1's have straight cut gears. V2's also have a slightly higher step up ratio than the V1's. I'm building a 306 with a V1 T-trim.

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by AHD
V2's have "helical" cut gears. V1's have straight cut gears. V2's also have a slightly higher step up ratio than the V1's. I'm building a 306 with a V1 T-trim.

A friend of mine is most likely going with the same setup as you, but first he's building the 306 and then going with the S/C.

What #'s are you expecting??? Any other mods on your ride?

AHD

Established Member
To be honest, I don't know. I'm actually rebuilding with a motorsport B50 block. Probe sent me .020 pistons in a .030 box, so they started to slap. But, it did make 319.5/330.2 at the wheels. So with a lot less blowby and the t trim with a 3.33/6.87 pulley combo, I'm expecting somewhere in the high 400's at the wheels.

STANGBUM

Love that Boost
Established Member
I gained quit abit of HP and TQ with the V2 but if I had it to do again I would get the V1. Mine is way to quit for me. I like that "whine".:shrug:

99SVTAddict

Established Member
I can tell you that the V2 is not super quiet by any means. You can hear it plain as day. People always comment when I drive by at cruise-ins "Hear that whine!!?"

Agreed. I can hear it and so can the guy next to me. But it's not obnoxious like my exhaust is:D

fly boy

Established Member
I have a 99gt with the v2 and yeah you can hear a slight whine at idle but nothing like a buddies procharger(loud). So far with 9 psi I have put down 400rwhp/tq on two weak cyls.

blownstang

Established Member
I have a V1 and it's loud! I have buddies with D1sc's and you can hear mine over theirs. I've heard plenty of V2's and they quiet compared to a V1...I think.:shrug: :)

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by blownstang
I have a V1 and it's loud! I have buddies with D1sc's and you can hear mine over theirs. I've heard plenty of V2's and they quiet compared to a V1...I think.:shrug: :)

I agree, my V-1 is loud, so loud that one guy thought something was wrong with my engine (I guess he didn't know about cars) so I just nodded and said yeah.:shrug: The whine is much louder than the V-2.

blownstang

Established Member
Originally posted by S.C.L.A.98COBRA
I agree, my V-1 is loud, so loud that one guy thought something was wrong with my engine (I guess he didn't know about cars) so I just nodded and said yeah.:shrug: The whine is much louder than the V-2.
LOL....I just tell people when they ask that I have one of those " K&N centrifical air cleaners". :D

ohlarikd

Established Member
I am decided on a kit myself. I like the whine. Can you even buy a V1 'kit' anymore? Or do you have to piece it together? I see a lot of V2 and V2SQ kits, but no V1.

Will a V1 produce less power than a V2?

Any ideas?

Derek
98 Chrome Yellow Vert

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by ohlarikd
I am decided on a kit myself. I like the whine. Can you even buy a V1 'kit' anymore? Or do you have to piece it together? I see a lot of V2 and V2SQ kits, but no V1.

Will a V1 produce less power than a V2?

Any ideas?

Derek
98 Chrome Yellow Vert

What I know Vortech still does it...performance wise I believe they (V-1/V-2) produce similiar hp numbers, not much change other than the gearing...Check out the Vortech web page.

--->GOTTA LOVE THE CHROME YELLOW<---:thumbsup:

ForceInjection

Established Member
You can still get the V-1. They both will produce the same performance numbers. It's pretty much the gears that are cut differently between those two blowers.

Users who are viewing this thread