Vortech V2 upgrade to si trim

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
hey guys right now i am running a v2 on my 99 gt making 10 psi intercooled... my question is, is it worth it to upgrade to the si trim and will i make more power with the same size pulley that i am running now (3.33 pulley) and how much is it for the upgrade, thanks !

Stanger00

Established Member
I was told no from a tech at Vortech a couple years ago. But in a magazine article it showed gains throughout the power band. If you can get a vendor price on the rebuild do it that way. I only paid 600ish for my rebuild and Si upgrade. Otherwise it would of been more costly.

I upgraded it a few months ago but bumped my boost from 11 to 16 but the 16 is maxing out the impeller speed so it's really a 17-18 psi pulley setup at 7k rpms.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
so if i keep my same size pulley and the Get the SI upgrade will i see any decent gains... i would like to build boost sooner cause i dont build any till about 4k with my current set up

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
After reading that it seems like its worth it too me... my next question is if i upgrade to this i am assuming that i am gonna have to get the car retuned

Stanger00

Established Member
Its going to make the same power that a 2 valve would make with the V3 Vortech headunit. Not sure if you will need to have your tune adjusted...it will run a little leaner but if your wideband still has you in the 11 range you should be good.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
My car runs a little rich right now anyways so maybe it will lean out if i decide to do it... so one of the venders on here did ure upgrade?

Stanger00

Established Member
The shop that built my motor sent it off and I got their vendor discount. They are not a vendor on this website though.

Stanger00

Established Member
I dont think it would be worth it with a stock long block. When you build the motor and turn the boost up I think that is the best time to do it.

If you have a problem with the lag get some gears. Get your suspension setup too. 700 bucks will take you a long way with suspension parts.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
ive got 3 73 right now but yeah i think i am gonna just wait for when i get my motor all done up... the only way i will get the si upgrade is if for some reason my blower needs to be rebuilt this summer... far as suspension goes i dont have any for my car haha except for coil overs in the front and lowering springs in the back..... wats some worth while suspension mods for my car? i would like the power to stick to the ground more its kinda all over the place until i hit 3rd probably dosent help i am in need of new tires as well

Chances50

Established Member
Yes, I've talked to quite a few that have done the SI upgrade and most seen 3psi gain with nothing more than the impeller upgrade. Also it's only $300 if you go through superchargersonline.com.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Yes, I've talked to quite a few that have done the SI upgrade and most seen 3psi gain with nothing more than the impeller upgrade. Also it's only $300 if you go through superchargersonline.com.

True, however, if you have a ton of miles on the headunit it will be best to do the minor rebuild with it. That is about 380.

And his motor is already maxed out with its current setup. I think I seen a thread that he is around 410hp on his stock 2 valve long block with 10psi of boost.

Last edited:

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
yup making 410 with 10 psi so i am just gonna enjoy my car this summer and save up for a motor.... any input on suspension mods?

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
have strange 10 way adjustables in the front right now and i am gonna get rid of them cause with my UPR tubular k and coilovers it rides like shit... i was told that the best struts to eliminate noise in the front with coilovers are the Blistens

Stanger00

Established Member
What kind of spring are you using up front?

I haven't driven my car with the 200# spring or tokico drag struts yet. I skipped strange struts because of the noise they make. Just hope the 200# spring will be enough for street duty...

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
To be honest i forgot all i know is it makes a lot of noise... if the Blistens dont fix this noise problem then i am getting rid of the coilovers... ik know two people who run this same upr coilover set up... ones a 700 rwhp 03 cobra and other is a 02 sonic blue hellion turbo gt ... they both run the HD Blistens for struts and say they never have any noise so i am hoping it will fix the problem..... unless i have springs themselves have anything to do with it but i do remeber asking UPR for the most street friendly springs for a DD and thats what they sent me with my kit

Users who are viewing this thread