VRI 5.4 DOHC New Edge Conversion

NV2L8ULUZ

Established Member
What's up,
I don't post on this board too often, but I figure you guys might find this interesting. Here is the thread that I copied and pasted that I started over in Modular Fords.

Hey guys,

a while ago I was on the Terminator Forum updating my progress on my New Edge 5.4 Conversion. Well it's finally done, so I wanted to post over here on the New Edge portion of the site and share with you guys some pictures and vids of it. I don't have any numbers yet because I just got the car running not too long ago, but I will here in a few weeks. Right now it only has a little base tune in it to get it running.

Here's an overview if anyone is curious.

The car has full weight for the most part, what I consider to be tasteful (which is my opinion) weight reduction is taking out a part and replacing it with a lighter part that's just as durable if not more (Like Replacing K members, A Arms, etc).

It's a 5.4 .020 over built by me at Voodoo Racing Innovations (VRI)

with Fully Forged Bottom End and ARP Hardware

Machine Work Done by Adam Dahl at West Coast Racing Engines

Ported/Polished 03 Cobra heads done by HBR Competition Engines here in Vegas.
Custom Ground Comp Cams to VRI Specs

Manley Valve Train with Titanium Retainers

ATI Super Damper

Melling Billet Oil Pump
Custom Sheet Metal Tunnel Ram Built by Virtual Works Racing

Custom One Off 5.4 Headers Built by BSR Fabrications

(He built me a set for my Termi as well)
Dynomax Mufflers
60LB Injectors
BAP
I'll be tuning it with the assistance of DDT or CC if they're interested
QA1 Tubular K member and arms
QA1 Coil Overs
Granatelli Upper Control Arms
Custom Lower Control Arms
4R70W built by Performance Transmission Las Vegas by Len
PTC Converter
FRPP Driveshaft
Solid Axle with Welded Axle Tubes and Mac Rear End Support
Superior 31 Spline Axles
31 Spline Eaton Posi Diff

Custom Intake System done by me.

And some other things I'm sure I forgot.

This car was originally a joint project between my friend Chris (Mad TV) and me. Due to the recession, Chris lost his job and was unable to complete it. Therefore, I took the responsibility of completing this car and I dedicate this to him. I also like to thank my friends Dana at Virtual Works Racing, and BSR Fabrications for their countless hours of devoting their fabrication skills on this car. I couldn't have done it without you guys. Also, Very Big Thanks to Steve at Tousley for making sure everything happened according to budget and in a timely matter! And Last but not least, I'd like to thank "NazMan" from our very own Modular Fords forum for his advice that he's gave to me over the course of the last year to help me complete this project as well.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Frank

The VWR Tunnel Ram

RedCarandCarStuff036.jpg

RedCarandCarStuff042.jpg

RedCarandCarStuff043.jpg

RedCarandCarStuff044.jpg

The BSR Headers (These header pics are actually from the set that are in my Termi)

Headers002.jpg

Headers001.jpg

Headers003.jpg

Headers005.jpg

Headers010.jpg

Some Idling Vids

th_RedCarandCarStuff040.jpg

th_RedCarandCarStuff041.jpg

NV2L8ULUZ

Established Member
The hood may just be temporary. I haven't quite figured out the final look for the car yet...but I think I'm going to stay wingless.

Tremor

NO MERCY
The hood may just be temporary. I haven't quite figured out the final look for the car yet...but I think I'm going to stay wingless.

You also ran nines with an eaton and Whipple :bowdown:

Im sure this build will do the same or better :pop:

NV2L8ULUZ

Established Member
I'll keep you guys posted. It definitely won't be a dyno queen for sure, especially since it's an auto. I probably won't have time to dyno it until late next week.

Nxed2

Established Member
:rockon::rockon:

I'll keep you guys posted. It definitely won't be a dyno queen for sure, especially since it's an auto. I probably won't have time to dyno it until late next week.

In for track times!!!! & Please post up your dyno...Lots of guys watching this thread dont leave us hangin. :)

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
PLEASE get a dyno graph posted. I want to se what kinda torque this can make.
Torque could be quite high because of the auto trans, but I would guess that the power will be less than what AL P. made with his "street" 5.4 due the limitations of the 03/04 heads when compared to the Cobra Rs (that he Al used).

Last edited:

NV2L8ULUZ

Established Member
I won't leave you guys hanging but this car is far cry from being a dyno queen. I'm anxious to race this car at the track but it won't be open again 'til the 6th of March. I should be going to the dyno this Saturday. I'm trying to get some of my customer's stuff out of the way first. Business before pleasure. :-D

Since it's an auto with an unlocked-super high stall converter, and it's on slicks, it's not going put down "impressive" numbers especially compared to a similar manual trans counter part, but I will post them anyways when I get them.

For example, my Terminator made 650 Rwhp on slicks, unlocked converter through a 4R70W with the eaton and went my first 9 second pass with a 3650lb raceweight at over 136mph. Back in the day (a few years ago), the car would make 708rwhp with street tires and a T56 on the stock motor with a Ported Eaton and with the same amount of nitrous and went only 127mph at 10.7's with the same raceweight! Now I make 725rwhp through an auto with the 2.3 Whipple and the car goes [email protected]!:shrug: I saw similar results with my friend's cars too, Hellion Cobras that made mid 800's with a T56, and ended up with high 600's with a 4R70W! JR's Blown Snake with the fastest 3.4 Whipple record went low 9's when he made 750rwhp through a C4! Auto numbers are quite decieving.

Last edited:

fat rat

Established Member
what would a 5.4 conversion entale (sp?)

i have a '00 and was told to get a termi for more power.. but i like to go the other route

Users who are viewing this thread