walbro 255 pumps

lightning rod

Established Member
before i install the walbro gss 342 pumps,i was wondering if any one has had any problems with them before i install them on my truck :shrug:

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
You should be ok.

You might want to replace the "Y" fitting with a metal version.

Rich

Derek2001

Established Member
Well not that i can really offer advice, but I've had nothing but problems since in installed the walbro pumps. My trucks been down for 2 weeks trying to sort out the issue, and I will be installing an adjustable pressure regulator and bypassing the resistor. I cant figure out why some trucks run fine with the gss342's yet others suffer from massive drivability problems. Doesn't make much sense to me. But like the others said, def get the metal Y, and be sure you get fuel injection hose. The local shop idiot gave me the wrong hose 4 times in a row when i was asking for injection hose.

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
I heard someone talking about the "hose clamps" that come with the kits causing problems Anyone know what I am talking about? He said something about not being able to get them tight enough to keep the hoses from coming loose without causing a blockage in the lines from being over tightened. I know for injectors, I'd need a retune, but what about pumps?

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Silver04L said:
I heard someone talking about the "hose clamps" that come with the kits causing problems Anyone know what I am talking about? He said something about not being able to get them tight enough to keep the hoses from coming loose without causing a blockage in the lines from being over tightened. I know for injectors, I'd need a retune, but what about pumps?

This happened to me. I lost all fuel pressure...vacuum was the only thing keeping it running.
The shop that installed the pumps repaired it free of charge. They even picked up the tow
fee. After I picked it up I discovered I had the same problem that Derek has. It would stumble
at low RPM's when the engine is underload. My fuel pressure gauge would flutter between
20-30 PSI. It ran perferctly once the secondary pump kicked in. I changed the fuel filter and
I haven't had a problem since.

Derek2001

Established Member
I changed the fuel filter with the pumps. It has maybe 50 miles on it since the pumps were changed. I suppose i could have stirred up junk, but the tank looked spotless inside to me. It's about to make me rip my hair out.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
This is probably not the problem, just something else that should be considered when changing things. If you open the fuel system between the tank and the filter, you should always blow that line clean to be sure that small pieces of rubber etc. haven't lodged in that line. Think about it, new pumps, new filter, still problems, any crud in the line between should be eliminated as another cause. But that is just my muddy thinking. :uh oh:

boca ron

Banned
camjocb did a good write-up on nloc to the 255 woes pretty informative. i also had to jump resistor from fluttering fuel pressure. jumping resistor solved problem immediately.

boca ron

Banned
some do some dont ive only witnessed 1 have this problem out of 15 or 20 ive swapped out unfortunately it had to be mine, after no less, it ran fine for 3 mths prior to problem rearing its ugly head, i did notice tho it happened right after i changed a tune.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Rons Bolt said:
This happened to me. I lost all fuel pressure...vacuum was the only thing keeping it running.
The shop that installed the pumps repaired it free of charge. They even picked up the tow
fee. After I picked it up I discovered I had the same problem that Derek has. It would stumble
at low RPM's when the engine is underload. My fuel pressure gauge would flutter between
20-30 PSI. It ran perferctly once the secondary pump kicked in. I changed the fuel filter and
I haven't had a problem since.

Was this at PSI Ron?

Users who are viewing this thread