Want to replace my Precision Turbos, with what Brand tho???

BigmotoXer

Established Member
I have a Hellion twin turbo with two 55mm turbos(Precision/journal). After one year the bearings seem to be going out. Opposed to rebuilding them I'm thinking of going with ball bearing turbos and possibly Garrett Turbos.

I've changed my oil every 3000 miles I use mobile one synthetic, I'm getting proper oil to and from Turbos clean air filters every couple weeks, but 1 year and 20k miles the Turbos need rebuilding.
.... nothing against Precision because I have nothing to compare the longevity too. But I have seen turbos last 100k-200k miles... I don't suspect that I would get that much on such a performance car/engine but 20k miles isn't enough and is worth trying another brand at least. Daily driver btw, not a track car.

Again I am not saying anything bad about Precision Turbo... I know there's a lot of guys on here that swear by them... I know there's a few that want to bust my balls and tell me that it's something that I've done wrong... Please don't do that, I am simply asking for advice/information on what options there are on direct replacement of another brand turbo between 55mm and 57mm(V-band) from someone with greater knowledge/turbo-experience than I.
Any and all (helpful) information will be appreciated.

nxhappy

Established Member
yeah check out BW. They make some of the best turbos in the world, they are well known for reliability .

BigmotoXer

Established Member
yeah check out BW. They make some of the best turbos in the world, they are well known for reliability .

They seem to have a good price as well. I've looked at the s200sx but notice there's a few submodels not sure which part# would be a direct replacement for the Hellion twins. Afraid to order wrong Turbos.
Maybe I'll talk with Jeff at Heliion and tell him what I'm doing and he can tell me what size inlet/outlets the s200sx will need so I'll order the correct turbo.(this might be easy for you guys but I've never had to match up different brands...trying to avoid having to customize my piping). And this phone sucks I've had to type this twice lol.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
you might be able to talk to BW directly. Tell them what you have currently and ask what you could use to replace them.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Well. After much hard work, research, phone calls, etc. I have learned that the V-band in/out T-3 type exhaust housing that Precision custom makes for Hellion(5562) are not interchangeable with any Borg Warner Turbos. At all. It can be done but significant customizing would have to be done to the piping. Garrett will work. But I sure had my heart set on the quick-spool, low cost, BW s200sx turbo. My life sucks.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
To use the BW ,it's more than just the V-bands, the size , deminsions , alignment ,and yes the -x2 V-band is all wrong. Not saying it can't be done because it can, but it's not what I want to do.

Last edited:

BigmotoXer

Established Member
All these #'s I'm going crazy trying to figure out if a garrett turbo is a 55mm or a 57mm or a 62mm should I be ashamed for saying that? I'm just saying why don't they put in parentheses (55mm) or (57mm) after the GTX2871R part #.
Is there a chart?

Last edited:

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Ok I'll put the specs of the existing Precision Turbos.
- Precision 55/62(V-band in/out).
- Compressor inlet= 4"
- Discharge size(going to intercooler)= 2.5"
- Exhaust housing w/V-band= T3 copy(V-band)

I found GTX2871R maybe it can be ordered with these specs for a direct replacement...it's Friday night everything closed so I'll be calling around again Monday....unless someone w/infinite wisdom strolls past here

Users who are viewing this thread