Want to start tuning my own car..

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I did a search and couldn't find a thread or sticky on how to start tuning my own car. I figured I built the motor might as well do the tuning.

I don't know much about tuning other than what timing (advanced/retard), A/F ratios (lean and rich) do and what the results are when they are changed. But don't know how to change them via software or how much I can safely change it.

Not that I'm starting easy. I wish I could start tuning on a stock n/a car but I'm not. My car is a novi'd 5.4 4v. :D

It has a base tune that was burned into the PCM. I think it was originally done with diablo software.

Last I looked into this there was Sniper tuning, SCT PRP, Diable, and old school tweeker. Not sure if there are others.

What would be a good one to get for a novice?

I would most likely have a laptop at the track doing data logs.

Thanks.

-Mark

nxhappy

Established Member
just remember, 2 VERY import things ....lean AFR can kill a motor quick ...keep her around 11.0 WOT for a boosted motor

and don't go crazy on the timing ....if using 93 ....take CAUTION ....16-17 degrees advanced would be plenty ...getting greedy can cost you a motor with boost and timing

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Thanks guys. For now it would be on pump 93. yes I have heard I can't go crazy with the timing. Right now it doesn't have much timing in it (I think 10*) but it is rich as hell.

I think my PCM code is AOL9E or something like that.

Then I also have no IMRC's, no cats, no smog pump, and no egr. So I hope I wouldn't have to mess with those.

So I assume it would be a good idea to get a wideband? Whats the best/cheapest one out there?

Are there any programs out there that you can run the diagnostics through your mobile phone via an app?

-Mark

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think a couple guys use Binary Editor and really like it. It might be worth seeing if they support your car. I've used SCT for years and it's what I'm comfortable with.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does SCT have a steep learning curve?

-Mark

I don't think so. At least as far as the basics such as setting up the MAF transfer and fuel/spark tables. Things can get interesting if you have aftermarket cams. But that's not something I've messed with yet. I was lucky that when I started tuning I had a buddy that was a tuner and he would give me tips to help me along.

WaffleMan

Established Member
I would go what Decipha has said, his forum has a wealth of knowledge and quick feedback. I use SCT but I would like to switch over to a quarterhorse and Tuner Pro or Binary Editor for real time tuning but it isn't in the funds right now. Tuning in real time would probably be 10x faster than SCT.

Users who are viewing this thread