Wanted a Kenne Bell but...

CobraSusie

Team Shelby Great Lakes State Director (Indiana)
Established Member
I really don't want to wait for them to release it:shrug:

what do you think of the ATI Procharger?

I found them listed for $3,900. for a 10 PSI kit
are there any better prices out there?

I am looking to do this within a month :coolman:

Thanks in Advance ;-)

SVTHorsnake

Banned
the KB's going to be incredible and it's not that far out. Check out the post at modularfords in the 4v section... it'll have more info... as far as the ATI, never used one but heard great things... I'm just trying to get mine back on as it were:thumbsup:

good luck

One more thing, more vortech feeds oil from the pan, which means tapping and returning, the ATI is self contained... less work and no perminant damage... just a thought

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by CobraSusie
Yes...I definately want a self contained system :)

you should buy that kit... that's a killer deal... my system was a bitch to install and I got into many embarrassing problems... you'll probably only need a braket and the piping with that kit he's got and I'm sure you can find somebody to buy your stuff, hell maybe somebody out there has a GT with Cobra kit and is looking for a trade... never know:shrug:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
go with the procharger.. its even more efficient than the KB kit. the only thing that the KB has on the procharger is the low end torque that a twin-screw provides.

if you look in the 03 section in here, you can already see some 03/04 cobras ditching their stock blowers for prochargers and getting some sick SICK numbers..

on top of all that, the way the procharger sounds is addictive.

-Homer

VTTRAPN03

Established Member
Hey Susie,

I would go with the procharger.

PS. Do you ever go to laporte to cruise during the summers? I have a friend who has a lake house there so we cruise there sometimes and look for races too.

Al

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by IUP99snake
go with the procharger.. its even more efficient than the KB kit.

Ehh, I'm not sure about that one, centri's may be slightly more efficient than "roots" type blowers like those found on the 03 Cobra...but dont confuse Roots blowers with Twin screws, they are two totally different animals, to illustrate here is a write up I found....

LYSHOLM COMPRESSORS (K/B twin screws)(also called screw compressors) offer all the advantages of roots type blowers and then some. This design’s pros and cons are very similar to Roots s/c’s, with one major difference; efficiency. Typically these compressors have peak adiabatic efficiency AT OR ABOVE centrifugal designs.
Externally these look nearly identical to the current Eaton design, but internally they do have some differences. The main difference between roots and lysholm compressors is in how the two rotors interract in the supercharger housing; being that the roots rotors really don’t. Lysholm compressors have the familiar two rotor, twisted lobe design, but each usually has 4 lobes instead of 2 or 3, and each rotor’s lobes have their own specific shape. One rotor will have thin blade style lobes with a fat ridge on top, while the other will have fat teardrop shaped lobes with a sharp edge. As the two rotors spin, the lobes interlock to form nearly airtight sections within the supercharger housing. This interlocking and sealing action is where the design gets it’s advantages over roots blowers, being better thermal efficiency and much improved high pressure boost performance. Roots designs don’t seal internally very well between the lobes of each rotor, and so are prone to leak air out of the system as they operate. This is partially why they have inherently lower thermal efficiencies than other designs, and entirely why they don’t perform very well in high boost situations. Put simply, the greater the pressure difference between one side of the supercharger and the other, the more leaking of air occurs. This increases air turbulence, lowers flow potential, and limits efficiency all at once. Lysholm compressors combat this through the basic rotor design, and they have been proven to work very well.

Last edited:

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by 96CobraHoe
How much is a KB kit for a 96-98 Cobra...

The cheapest I have found at NFS.com was $4000, but that is for the chrome version, I think the non-chromed (it's actually black) version goes for around $32-3400. That's the base 6 or 8 lb. pulley with everything needed (chip, boost-a-pump...)

I have been researching this project for about a year in preparation for my 98 Cobra install next year. There is LOTS of good info from guys that really know their stuff at Kenne-Bell.com, also check out K/B's main website.

With the 8# kit, 70mm FRPP t/b, 90mm LMAF, 42# injectors, a 255 in-tank, a good cold air kit, and a custom dyno tune, there are dozens of guys running this EXACT combo putting down 400rwhp, and 400 torque, add to that the fact that 96-98 Cobras are 300-400 lbs lighter than the 03's and you're in ZO6 territory! (low-mid 12 sec 1/4 miles)

As to the original post, I would personally wait on the 99 kits, they are gonna be monsters and probably superior to even the 96-98 kits.

There is nothing like the "big block" feel of a twin screw, and you don't have to wait on boost, there is 8# from 1500 rpm's all the way to redline. The biggest problem will be finding tires that can hook it up.

Either blower would be a good choice, it just depends on what your looking for...a streetable stoplight torquemonster or a high-reving 1/4 miler with pimpin' dyno numbers.

Either way your gonna be stompin' Vettes. :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:

DOHC Rocket

Established Member
The only problem I have with the KB system is that the stock 96-98 Cobra Strut tower brace cannot be used! Is there any other company that makes one so you can use blower with it? Centrifigul seems to be the only supercharger you can keep the strut tower brace with. I like the handling with the brace on.

Last edited:

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
98 yeller svt im not trying to be an ass or anything but he didnt say anything about the kb being roots, he said twin screw

go with procharger, 645rwhp @ 21psi sounds good to me, you do have to upgrade fuel system though

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by DOHC Rocket
The only problem I have with the KB system is that the stock 96-98 Cobra Strut tower brace cannot be used! Is there any other company that makes one so you can use blower with it? Centrifigul seems to be the only supercharger you can keep the strut tower brace with. I like the handling with the brace on.

I know, it kinda stinks.

I have been searching for one that will fit and the only one I've found that ~might~ fit is a STB that Ford makes for the 351 engine, I haven't fully investigated it yet.

If I find out no one makes one that will fit, I will eventually just fabricate and weld one myself that will fit. It wouldn't be that hard.

All that being said, there are alot of people over at cornercarvers.com (THE suspension website) and others that question if a strut tower brace really does all that much. I'm not saying I agree with them 100%, but they do have some very valid points.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
hey susie

i have a procharger on my 01 cobra it is a d-1sc and i produce 569hp abd 483 tq on a mustang dyno.

and the prochargers sound wicked at idle and under WOT runs

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by xVENOMx
98 yeller svt im not trying to be an ass or anything but he didnt say anything about the kb being roots, he said twin screw

I was just trying to be cool and give him the benefit of the doubt, many people confuse the two.

Nonetheless my major point was a centri isn't more efficient than a twin screw.

Originally posted by xVENOMx
go with procharger, 645rwhp @ 21psi sounds good to me, you do have to upgrade fuel system though

If you run that much boost and RWHP with the stock pistons, block, tranny, and rear end...your gonna be purchasing a new drivetrain to compliment your new supercharger. 96-98 Cobra blocks and pistons were not built to handle that much boost. It's common knowledge.

Keep it conservative..under 10 lbs of boost and under 450 rwhp on stock 96-98 applications, an intercooler or water injection will allow a little more.

Do some research of your own CobraSusie, you'll find that almost all tuners will recommend staying under 8-10# and under 450rwhp if your Cobra is otherwise stock.

You will never be able to hook up 650rwhp on the street anyway...and there is no way in he** your gonna hook up 645rwhp with a Positive disp/Twin screw application, your gonna be smokin' with your pimpin' dyno numbers while the 450rwhp guy with traction blows you out of the hole and is gone.

Most guys have a hard enough time hooking up 400-500 rwhp.

400rwhp/400tq. with good traction will put you in the low 12's....not to shabby

Research here........Kenne-Bell.com

Last edited:

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by blown01cobra
I have a procharger on my 01 cobra it is a d-1sc and i produce 569hp abd 483 tq on a mustang dyno.

Wow! Impressive! How does it hook up?
That bad boy should be runnin' 10's easily.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread