Wanting to buy - How's the radio/stereo???

whiplash306

Established Member
Hey guys - the wifey and I are seriously considering moving on from our '08 Mazdaspeed 3 into a new Fiesta ST. We test drove one about a month ago and couldn't hardly believe how much fun it was right off the bat. That, coupled with having something newer and with (seemingly) incredible gas mileage, we think we might be hooked. However, after test driving it, we went and also test drove a new Focus ST as a means of comparison. That said, and performance aside, what we didn't really mess with much was the Fiesta's radio. We did however use the Focus's radio which was equipped, I'm guessing, with the Sony sound system, and were VERY impressed. So in trying to "build" a Fiesta ST through Ford's website, it doesn't seem the same radio/stereo is available? Is this the case, or am I missing something? I see the Nav and all that, but I'd rather have a quality stereo, similar to that in the Focus ST, than the Nav. So is that an option in the Fiesta? Does the stereo sound anywhere near as good in it as the Focus ST with the Sony system? Any input would be great. I just got lost in the fun factor of the Fiesta, and forgot to check out the whole package….ha!

Now to decide between Recaros and what color to buy? :)

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
The FiST has a Sony system standard, but it does not have a factory sub like the FoST, and there are no upgrade options(as far as the build sheet). That being said, the system is far from bad, but at times I wish there was a 8" factory sub. There is a sub available that's a direct plug and play from Ford accessories, but it's ~$600..

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
The FiST has a Sony system standard, but it does not have a factory sub like the FoST, and there are no upgrade options(as far as the build sheet). That being said, the system is far from bad, but at times I wish there was a 8" factory sub. There is a sub available that's a direct plug and play from Ford accessories, but it's ~$600..

Thanks for your response. Good to know that there's at least an sub available. Do you happen to have a link for it? All that I can find is 10" sub for the sedan…

Last edited:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Thanks for your response. Good to know that there's at least an sub available. Do you happen to have a link for it? All that I can find is 10" sub for the sedan…

Kind of tough finding alot of info on it honestly.. it's a Kicker sub and factory box that mounts on the passenger side of the hatch. I went to my local Ford dealer and they had some pics of it, but again it's kind of pricey for what it is, although I do like the plug and play with no hacking wires etc.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I think the factory system in the Fiesta sounds great, without a subwoofer. The stock system provides enough bass, in most cases, to give me the sound I like. If I was going to add a subwoofer I would buy something like the Sound Ordinance powered subwoofer. They are around $150 and very compact.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Were is the plug in the car for the sub to be plug and play

whiplash306

Established Member
I think the factory system in the Fiesta sounds great, without a subwoofer. The stock system provides enough bass, in most cases, to give me the sound I like. If I was going to add a subwoofer I would buy something like the Sound Ordinance powered subwoofer. They are around $150 and very compact.

"Sound Ordinance" sub??? Is it a specific "kit" for the Fiesta, or is this just something you've made work? Do you have a link?

whiplash306

Established Member
That's pretty interesting and it comes with HUGE reviews! Impressive. That said, it "seems" that it gets its signal from the existing speaker wires, huh? So is the sub putting out only bass, or since it's connected through the existing speaker wires with full signal from the stereo, is it also attempting to create the highs and lows? Gah, I hate being so ignorant to stereo related stuff! …and is it truly only 3 1/8" tall??? If so, that'll fit under most car seats that aren't electrically motored.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't think it puts out much high frequency. If you only had the powered sub you would probably hear the entire song but it would not sound good because the sub is designed to specialize in the low frequency range.

I doubt you could fit it under the seat. I attempted to fit it under the non power seat in my F350 and I needed another 3/4". I ended up mounting it behind the back seat with plenty of room to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread