Wanting to cut my springs, but have concerns.

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
Ok guys im pretty much set on cutting my springs 1 coil all the way around. It seems like its the look i like the most. My main concerns are removing and installing them back on. How hard on a scale 1-10 is this. Ive changed out shocks and springs on my old trans am before but that is a totally different car. Ive read you have to drop the IRS in the rear and get a pivot puller and what not. Is that all necessary? What did everybody do to change out their springs?

03Snakeb1te

Banned
I kind of had a hard time on the rears because i had pretty much done everything that was said on the how to thread amd my springs were stil tucked in pretty hard.. So i use a spring compresor and i was a able to get em out.. Also some ppl remove the hangers of the exhaust tips from the lil rubber part.. I didnt so maybe that was the reason why i struggle:shrug: ?

As far as the fronts which ppl say is a lil more time consuming i was able to get em out without the spring compresor just remove 3 nuts and bolts and they fell rite out.. 1 coil cut is pretty good, because i did 3/4 on the rear and 1 on the front and for liking the rear was still a bit to high so i removed em once again and cut another 1/4 to make it a full coil i also took off the bottom isos now is level and looks good..

Good luck

shurur

Established Member
A spring compressor will work for OEM springs.
But is not as safe as lowering the IRS.

Make sure that the compressor has a good grip/seat on those springs!!
Also you will need a length of pipe w/washers to take up some of the length of the screw.

That' 600#/inch of compression.
If that spring slips, that spring doesn't give a damn about any of your pieces-parts!!

IMO: 5/8-3/4 rear and 3/4-1 coil front the best amount to cut.

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
:banana:
you guys are making me not want to do it lol

No man don't worry too much about it. It's actually pretty easy. I did mine twice after never doing this before with minimal trouble. You dont need spring compressors. If you follow the how to thread correctly the springs will literally just fall out.

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
im going to go off of the americanmuscle.com how to.. it seems pretty straight forward. i just went and picked up some spring compressors just in case..

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
im doing the rear first. i did everything so far and now im at the IRS bolt, its shaved and was hard to get ahold of but i got it loose, i loosened it pretty far out and kept loosening it but it stopped coming out... im kind of stuck because if theres a bolt on the back side i cant reach it.

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
Yeah i made sure i knew which way they were. The fronts were a lot easier than the backs and i also used a spring compressor.. The fronts are obvious to cut them on the bottom but i ended up cutting the back ones on top.. I looked around FOREVER on which side to cut and nobody had an exact answer. Well im all done and it looks awesome. Im about to go take it for a ride so i will let yall know how it rides and tomorrow ill put some pics up.. Thanks for the help

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
Heres a few pics, the back is a little lower than i would like but it is good!

20130317_135826_zpsbe642f0c.jpg

20130317_135815_zpsd93166bc.jpg

03Snakeb1te

Banned
i forgot about this thread for a couple days, i ran into just know..
did u need the spring compressor ?someone here mention that they are not necessary however i found it to be easier if i used em..im glad u were able to get it done. just as a tip for next time , is easier to remove the irs bolt if u put a jack under the pumpkin so u can release the pressure of the bolts..
anyhow ur car looks great man.. u will most likely need an alignment, my alignment was messed up after doing this.. and yes u were supposed to cut from the bottom part of the spring.. hopefully cutting from the top is not a big issue.. how much did u cut ? im loving ur stance lol.. good work man

Juiced_97Cobra

Established Member
How much did you cut off? Iso's in or out? I cut a coil all the way around and no front iso's and running 18's and your's def sits alot lower than mine in all 4 corners!!

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
I cut 1 coil off all and took the iso's completely out of the front and only left the bottom of the iso's in the rear, because the tops were a pain to get back in.. Maybe its because the vert springs are different?! im not sure, unless you have a vert also

Last edited:

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
thanks shurur and 03snakeb1te! i did end up using spring compressors there was no way to get any of the springs out without it.. I did support the pumpkin when taking out the irs bolts but i guess i didnt have it jacked up high enough on one side when i took the first one out. I couldnt lower the irs fully down to drop the rear springs because the exhaust hooks that held up the exhaust near the irs were impossible to unhook unless i bent the crap out of them, and they were welded up. In the front i dropped it fully and even with the spring compressor on the spring i still had to pry out the spring. It was in there tight!

03Snakeb1te

Banned
thanks shurur and 03snakeb1te! i did end up using spring compressors there was no way to get any of the springs out without it.. I did support the pumpkin when taking out the irs bolts but i guess i didnt have it jacked up high enough on one side when i took the first one out. I couldnt lower the irs fully down to drop the rear springs because the exhaust hooks that held up the exhaust near the irs were impossible to unhook unless i bent the crap out of them, and they were welded up. In the front i dropped it fully and even with the spring compressor on the spring i still had to pry out the spring. It was in there tight!

No prob bud ur car looks killer..

Users who are viewing this thread