Wanting to join the Air Force

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
I'm currently enrolled in college, but it isn't for me at all and I'm not doing very well. Will they look badly on me dropping out?? Has anyone had any bad experiences toward the air force or recommend another branch??

I'd really like to hear some opinions and/or tips from people who are already in the air force.

Have you ever thought of switching to an easier major and doing AFROTC? I know a few people that are commisioning as a 2nd LT this fall, one of them is going to be a pilot and his major is history.

cobrkilrl

Established Member
I spent 21 years in the Air Force. Best 21 years of my life. Got to travel all over the world as a Medic including serving with NATO forces in Izmir Turkey. Payed for my education as a Registered Nurse. I am retired now but still work a couple of days a week to pay for my toys. Pick a career that you can use on the outside if you decide after 4 years it's not for you. And make sure you get everything in writing. A lot of career fields now pay big bonus' to enlist in. Check them out. If I were 19, I would do it all over again. Good luck.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Have you ever thought of switching to an easier major and doing AFROTC? I know a few people that are commisioning as a 2nd LT this fall, one of them is going to be a pilot and his major is history.

I plan on going back to school later in life when I know I'll be able to stick with it and do good. Right now i just don't see me finishing collage the way I am now and I'm tired of working all the time and a dead end fast food place not having any money.

ryans01

Vacation in Iraq
Established Member
Luckily though, the Air Force doesnt do very long deployments from what im told. Most everyone i have talked to said its no more than a couple of months. I guess with the Army anything less than 12-18 months is considered not long. Sad haha.

yeah about 4 to 6 months. I am on my 3rd 4 month in 25 months. but the last two have been by choice.

Actually, you guys helped me figure that out. I always wanted to either fly a fighter or work on one. I don't think I could fly one, so I picked the other. :rockon:

Boo see below

What ever you do try and get a Job before you leave for Basic.

Go crew chief, don't look back

boo. No just kidding But I am AGE. Some how I have been stuck doing power pro.

Thanks. I've always wanted to join the air force, but always figured I would hate going to the middle east, but after talking to people who actually knew what they were talking about, I've changed my mind. I'm still not sure what job to try for though.

Its not that bad at all. In the air force its cake. I'm at work right now LOL.

I cannot speak about being deployed because I have not gone yet but I can maybe give you some info on jobs, what did you have in mind?

I can also help you with job information.

ToyoFl

Established Member
Is it hard to become a medic? This seems like a good career choice, for both in the military, and after

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
Dont join the AF if you think your going to see action unless your a PJ, TACP or CCT.
Go elsewhere for grunt style work.

AF is good for aviation, missile, communication, medical, administrative, ect.

Crew Chief on heavy's suck. Flying crew chief is nice, but do something you'll be able to use on the outside for some real cash.

Dont join for the money either. At first it sucks, slowly gets better.
Been in 4 and change and make about 38k w/ BAH/BAS.

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
Was a combat controller, the got retrained after I got ****ed up in the sand box.
60 AMXS Travis AFB
I dont consider my self a crew chief lol
never will.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
i've been here for a while..

60 amxs is a shit hole...
Who was the CC/Shirt when you were here?

I still talk to a few guys out there on occasion, i.e. a TSgt Elen expediter, (T)Sgt Saftey guy, TSgt Tool room Ford Nut. Obviously, I'm trying to not use names.

IIRC, the CC drove a vette, nicer guy. Talked/joked with him one day at the smoke pit about who'd win in a race.

I can't recall who the Shirt was. I wanna say he was a former SP. It seemed like they were playing music Shirts for awhile there.

I left July 07. Chief F. was there when I left, outstanding Chief.

I'm curious is Joe Dirt still driving? She was nice/mean depending on when she last had a smoke.:p I heard that "Elvis" went to T/A when he retired.

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
LOL I know alot of these people. alot has changed, I've been gone from there for 4 months. I'm still active, but medical discharge coming here shortly.
Chief F is a great guy, hes at the group...
Stood by my side through thick and thin. Chief Wood is funny too...
The shirt your thinking of was a SMSGT? Rup...?
LOL joe dirt... Yes, She actually is MX supervisor now... Such a Dyke.
LOL

ToyoFl

Established Member
How is being a combat controller? This seems to be one of the coolest jobs IN the airforce

Users who are viewing this thread