wants to die

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Sometimes right after I do a high run my car wants to die out at idle. It only happens maybe once in a blue moon but I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. Same kind of feeling if your mass air meter was unplugged-which was the reason the first time a year ago. Ever since then though it has been going on. Checked the connectors and everything is clean/fine. Usually I just rev it a little bit at idle for a few seconds make sure it holds and then it's fine.

On a second thought.... How many of yall out there did a tune after upgrades such as intake, headers, xpipe, exhaust? I am not tuned and just wondering if that will increase rwhp if it was more accurately tuned.... or if it makes a difference.

Any help is good, thanx

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Some intakes are known for doing this.

What's happening is the airflow over the MAF is not expected by the computer dashpot settings and you get a stall, or near stall condition. It can be tuned out.

Come to think of it, my 99 Cobra was my only mustang that DIDN'T do this on occasion. My 2002 GT did this a couple times and it had the stock airbox on it.

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
appreciate the help...will look into that, can I clean the IAC if so what do I use to clean it with? the clocking of the MAF is at the 12 o clock position...I'm guessing that is where it is supposed to be.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
masalacobra said:
appreciate the help...will look into that, can I clean the IAC if so what do I use to clean it with? the clocking of the MAF is at the 12 o clock position...I'm guessing that is where it is supposed to be.

Use brake or carb cleaner to clean the IAC. also make sure to check the gasket before putting the IAC back on in case it got torn. Use some Q-tips in there if it is really nasty. Wet the Qtip first to try and cut down on the fuzz that comes off the q-tip. Make sure there isn't any in there when you are done.

Users who are viewing this thread