warm=rough idle

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
the 01 has been running great over the winter, just short local drives.....and was just at the point of doing the Vortech....but I took a 30 min ride(brisk but not dogging it) a few days ago and it was running great.....jumped back in 30-45 min later and she barely wants to hold an idle and have to keep working the gas and clutch just to get going...weird...(and no check engine light)

Once it is in a little higher rpm(2500+) it feels like Im shot out of a rocket and have to back off, seems ok but not 100% when at a steady criuse on the freeway, but when I stop again, same thing, barely can keep iot running till 2500+ and then zoooom.....I guess it had been 3 months since I had gotten it that warm.......and have driven on short runs a few times since and it seems just like new again......any specific stuff that would go bad and cause this weird idle just once it gets warm?

hate to take it to the dealer when its not acting up and paying diagnostics if its running perfect, but now Im scared to take it too far from home......

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
Dirty mass air meter or bad gas? Check under the hood to see if all hoses are hooked up secure. Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Vacuum line?

Did you disconnect the battery at all then reconnect. I have had my car run a bit rough after removing neg battery terminal..ECU relearns a bit?

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I couldnt get it to repeat the issue to take it anywhere, and its not throwing a check engine light........seems to be fine for several weeks even on long rides and then had a little return of the problem one day last week, (and it has a very weird hollow note to the exhaust)......then the next day runs like a champ....

its not bad gas, or a battery disconnection for sure....I have experienced those before.....MAF is clean(but it is on the bottom of the tube and not the top like stock, but if that was a problem I think it would always be a problem), I cant see any vacuum lines disconnected......I am going to take it to my Cobra tech at the dealer and get a fuel filter and ask some questions while there, but I know their answer...."leave it here and we will do a diagnostic for $150 and then we will tell you that the car is modified so we cant pinpoint the problem" since its not throwing a code....

if this was a continual problem it prob would be easy to solve.....just never happens when Im near a shop to diagnose.......

any other ideas?....I was hoping to have a Vortech on this thing this spring, but this is stopping me from moving forward.....I know for sure I dont want to Supercharge the problem!

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
previous owner did it.....this 01 had a vortech on it and was removed before they traded it(even still has the Vortech elbow on it)....so all the fuel goods had been upgraded which should make it easy to go back to the SC.....that was the plan....I have only had this happen twice in the last 7 months,(just the one major time, and this last time I was about to park it when I felt the first little bit of hesitation so I didnt get to see if it got to the same stage) but I want to make sure its in top form before I go to the next level......

so I suppose I can eliminate a lot of stuff that would automatically throw a code...

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you running a tune for the 42's or is it a stock tune?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
it is tuned for the setup it has and runs great...almost all the time
my Cobra tech at the dealer said it would run like crap on a stock tune....so I havent changed anything since I bought it.....
this issue popped up once a couple of months ago and just had another minor issue a few days ago......got me concerned about going forward with the Vortech before I know its running perfect....

Users who are viewing this thread