was astounded when figuring MPG today

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

C:\Socuments and Dettings
Established Member
Well, with gas prices through the freakin roof over here, filled up today Premium was $3.219 a gallon, I figured I should try to get the best MPG as possible. I have recorded 3 tanks of gas before this tank and was averaging 26.5 MPG combined. Well I pulled up to the pump today did my thing, busted out the calculator and low and behold, 33.3 MPG!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I did the calculation again just to make sure and yep 33.3 MPG!!! Everything is stock except my VF engine mount (which doesn't do anything for MPG). I drove it about 20/80 city/highway percent. But I was keeping my speed down on the highway to about an average of 65 mph. I coudln't believe after getting an avg of 26, 27 MPG that I was able to get 33!!!

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Nice! But I just can't keep my foot out of it. And as far as my trips to WI from here, Thier is no way in hell I could keep the speed down over that 21hr drive. But yea, 33mpg would be nice.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
Our cars are very aerodynamically challenged, it seems that when we take it easy (below 75) millage improves significantly!

HTPerformance

Are you all running the stock tire size? I've noticed a big difference in milage this week since I have put my summer wheel/tires back on. The set I have is slightly larger than the stock SVT size and my summer tires are smaller than stock. But the revs/mile are only significant for +/- 1mpg. SO... It is either weight of the whole setup or less friction between the Artic Alpins and the Azenis Sport. So far my estimate is 26mpg for this tank, I was averaging 20mpg on the winter setup.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
I bet it's the friction. I tried pumping my tires up another 5 pounds and it improved millage noticeably.

HTPerformance

I did a few calculations. The Stock Conti's are 819 revs/mile. My Artic Alpins are 824 revs/mile. My Azenis are 860 revs per mile. So... in driving to work my 12.8 mile commute i should see about 0.5miles longer just due to the difference in the tire circumference. This is a 1.044 factor difference. But if I compare 20mpg with the Artics and 26mpg with the Azenis, thats a 1.3 factor. So the difference has to be weight difference or friction loss. So I see a less than 1mpg gain due to the size of the tire, but a 5mpg gain due to the friction or weight reduction.

So in retrospect I wasted 94 gallons of gas over the last 6 months at an average of $2.50/gal so... I wasted $234. Dang, now I should only put the snows on when I know it is going to snow...lol

-Brian

Last edited:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Well guys i got you all BEAT!!!! I use special wax on my car, and i get 87 mpg, and my foot NEVER LEAVES THE RUG!!!!! lol j/k

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
HTPerformance said:
Are you all running the stock tire size? I've noticed a big difference in milage this week since I have put my summer wheel/tires back on. The set I have is slightly larger than the stock SVT size and my summer tires are smaller than stock. But the revs/mile are only significant for +/- 1mpg. SO... It is either weight of the whole setup or less friction between the Artic Alpins and the Azenis Sport. So far my estimate is 26mpg for this tank, I was averaging 20mpg on the winter setup.

I'm running the stock continentals. Being in Sourthern Calif I dont need to put on winter/summer tires :pepper:

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
under 65 mph on the freeway? I cant hardly keep the bitch under 80, but that's how Houston freeways are. Thus a 24 mpg average is the best I'll get. I honestly wish I could drive that slow :burnout:

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
doubletrouble said:
under 65 mph on the freeway? I cant hardly keep the bitch under 80, but that's how Houston freeways are. Thus a 24 mpg average is the best I'll get. I honestly wish I could drive that slow :burnout:

Yeah its hard man!!! You really get that urge to get on it. Seems like your crawling especially when others fly by you. Even in the slow lane the only thing going 60-65 are the Big rigs!! Sometimes they aeven pass me!!! :burnout:

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
Yeah its hard man!!! You really get that urge to get on it. Seems like your crawling especially when others fly by you. Even in the slow lane the only thing going 60-65 are the Big rigs!! Sometimes they aeven pass me!!! :burnout:

Haha I had one pass me on my way to work today. I was doing 60 in a 55 zone just easing along and this big rig blew by me- he must have been doing 80 or better!

Users who are viewing this thread