was i singled out because of my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerwoods

Established Member
I got home monday to find a business card from the local police department.
The card had his name, phone# and a message that said call me. I had absolutley no clue what this was about so i called. He asked me if i had been driving by certain intersection on saturday. I said yes. He then told me someone stole a car there and 2 witnesses that dont know each other wrote down my liscense plate because i left in a big hurry. After i told him wasnt in a big hurry he told me i need to slow down and this is not about a ticket. I told him where i was the whole day (playing golf) then i went and picked up some pizza straight from the golf course. About a half a mile from that intersection a police car turned on his sirens and all of the cars on the road, including myself, pulled to the right and let him pass. then i got to the intersection where the car was taken and went through the green light. When i went through the police were going east and i was going south. I thought nothing of the whole incident until monday night. He then tells me the name of the person that stole the car and if it turns out i have anything to do with it, that he will be coming after me. He then tells me that he knows about svt cobras and that there are not alot around so he knows it was me and i need to be more careful driving it that fast. I told him i think your witnesses are getting loud and fast confused. He then asked how old i was and i told him i was going to be 30 in april, he said thanks for your time and hung up.

I find it a little scary that i was contacted out of the blue and basically told i was involved in a crime. I have never had trouble with the police and frankly dont want any either. I clearly had nothing to do with this. Can i breath easy or do i need to keep worrying about this? Thanks

Trill Gear Head

Established Member
welcome to the real world. Cops profile all the time, your driving a sports car(a cobra none the less). He's just tryn to scare you and if you think that he's harrasing you contact his precinct or talk with a lawyer.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
+1
I woulnt worry about it. Cops profile all the time down here. The price you pay when you drive a fast anything. Hes trying to scare you because with all this information he has on the supposed fact that you committed a crime, you wouldve been arrested a long time ago. Dont stress man, MOST cops take their position to an extreme.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
For the two posters above who says "Cops profile all the time," your statements are inaccurate. What you are inferring is not profiling. Profiling is an art that takes into account more than a type of car or a color. Additionally, while the L.E.O.s here are car guys, most L.E.O.s arent car guys and dont know a V6 crapstang from a KB Cobra. L.E.O.s are interested in those that break the law and cause problems on the road. It is just as easy for a L.E.O. to stop a cadillac as it is a Cobra, if there is no P.C. for the stop the officer isnt going to create a situation to write a summons when there are too many legitimate offenses to write without risking their jobs.

If you did nothing wrong, I am sure you have nothing to worry about. But it is obvious that at least one witness got your plate number and/or car description.

91 FOX 5.0

Established Member
i got put in the back of a cop car because somone with a similar mustang to mine ran and got away...dont really know what to do about that, i dont have anything against cops at all i think they are generally good people but it is obvious that people with mustangs or any sporty car are and will be profiled

derangedazn

Established Member
it could be worse....trying be Asian driving a car with a wing....got pulled over a couple of times for allegedly street racing. When I asked the cop the description of the vehicle...."Tanned individual driving a car with a wing on it."

I wonder if they know how many asians are in the DC area? and how many cars have wing/spoiler?

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
91 FOX 5.0 said:
i got put in the back of a cop car because somone with a similar mustang to mine ran and got away...dont really know what to do about that, i dont have anything against cops at all i think they are generally good people but it is obvious that people with mustangs or any sporty car are and will be profiled
You answered your own question or responded to your own statement.Someone ran from an officer with a car matching the description of yours.Thats not profiling,thats called police work.You obviously didnt get charged with anything and there is a very true saying about being at the wrong place at the wrong time...here is a prime example.What IF somone robbed you and drove off in xyz type of car,you gave the description to the officer and he gave a lookout.That lets me know to be on the lookout for xyz car,no matter what,its my job to investigate it.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I have to disagree with the people who say cops always profile sporty cars due to my personal experience. When I was a 16/17 yr. old punk, I drove an Oldsmobile Intrigue - a 4 door "grandma car" with a V6. I drove like an idiot, nothing crazy or reckless, usually speeding 10-15 over, and I got pulled over every so often, and ticketed half the time. Now, 6 years later, I'm driving a Mustang Cobra with flows and an o/r h pipe, and I haven't been pulled over once in the 2 1/2 years I've had it. The difference is, I don't drive like I've got a girl giving birth in the back seat any more.

Last edited:

91 FOX 5.0

Established Member
fiveohpoepoe said:
You answered your own question or responded to your own statement.Someone ran from an officer with a car matching the description of yours.Thats not profiling,thats called police work.You obviously didnt get charged with anything and there is a very true saying about being at the wrong place at the wrong time...here is a prime example.What IF somone robbed you and drove off in xyz type of car,you gave the description to the officer and he gave a lookout.That lets me know to be on the lookout for xyz car,no matter what,its my job to investigate it.

There are over a dozen cars like mine in this town, soo i guess they should of done the same to all the rest too huh ?

devilchrono

Established Member
there is some asshat in a TorchRed GT in my area that drives like a dick all the time and now everytime i pass a cop, they slow down so they can run my plate and see if i'm that guy. i drove passed the same cop within a 30 min period, and he picked up his radio both times. i think that cops profile alot of the time

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I find it a little scary that i was contacted out of the blue and basically told i was involved in a crime. I have never had trouble with the police and frankly dont want any either. I clearly had nothing to do with this. Can i breath easy or do i need to keep worrying about this? Than

I guess you can breath easy - unless of course you feel guilty.......about something.

Sounds like real police work to me, he had a lead so he followed up. Something you would approve of if it was your car that was stolen.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I wouldn't have been as nice as you were on the phone after that kind of questioning, thats for sure.

We drive Cobra's though - I get tailed at least 2 times a week coming home from bartending late night. And its not that I'm speeding, its that its a LASER RED sports car! Annoying but typical nonetheless.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
What would happen if he didn't call the number? Do you get a visit at your house?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I started to type a response but the "asian" victim was just too much for me, piled on top of the "red cars attract attention" post coupled to the "cops follow Cobras". Laughter got the best of me, no reason to go on. :bs: :idea: :wf: :loser:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
TripleBlack95 said:
I wouldn't have been as nice as you were on the phone after that kind of questioning, thats for sure.

We drive Cobra's though - I get tailed at least 2 times a week coming home from bartending late night. And its not that I'm speeding, its that its a LASER RED sports car! Annoying but typical nonetheless.

Really!! I dont get followed by police in my RED C6. Maybe it is the circumstances, such as driving late at night into the early morning. Unless the road is well lit, red looks like any other dark color.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
mswaim said:
I started to type a response but the "asian" victim was just too much for me, piled on top of the "red cars attract attention" post coupled to the "cops follow Cobras". Laughter got the best of me, no reason to go on. :bs: :idea: :wf: :loser:

Mark, you are indeed correct. This thread is full of innuendo and supposition. The few facts came from those with actual knowledge, the rest are simply making things up.

Good Night Gracie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread