wat do u guys think about a turbo setup on my 93 cobra?

rikhockey

Established Member
do u guys think i should go with a turbo setup on the cobra or just go with the easy S-trim ? plus's and minus's ur thoughts?

cobra0393

Established Member
I bought a 93 cobra with a turbo setup. I hated it. As soon as i got the car home i took it off. I am now putting on a strim. If your just going to race it then there fine, but if its going to be a street car then I would go with the strim. But thats my own opinion.

rikhockey

Established Member
why did u hate it so much this car just like my weekend driver and thats summer time only and strip couple times a year. how much boost were u running and stuff??

93BlkCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra0393
I bought a 93 cobra with a turbo setup. I hated it. As soon as i got the car home i took it off. I am now putting on a strim. If your just going to race it then there fine, but if its going to be a street car then I would go with the strim. But thats my own opinion.
You really mean that? WHY!
I love blowers!! Thats all I know. But man, A turbo gives
alot of good qualitys on the street as far as performance!
Explain more?:)

cobra0393

Established Member
First off the exhaust sounds like crap. I have owned nothing but blowers my whole life, and this turbo wouldnt run half as good. It may had just been the tune that the owner before me put on it, but i was mainly disapointed from the exhaust.

Paulvancouver

Established Member
Turbos can make tremendous power , but as mentioned turbos arent as easy to install and tend to require more fabrication and mechanical ability.if it is a street car and you want to keep it simple i would go with a supercharger such as a vortech. they install in a few hours and are pretty much trouble free out of the box.

turbosnk93

Established Member
I have a 93 Cobra with a 66mm turbo setup and so far its the meanest car I have ever driven. It's not my daily driver but when I do drive it, it moves. So far I am able to drive the car as if it were stock. The car has a new 342 and complete UPR suspension, PA Super Comp C4, Strange 9in., FAST.

If you keep it stock and slap a turbo on it than it should be ok.

Good Luck,

Anthony

rikhockey

Established Member
well as far as the install thats shouldnt be a problem its a winter project and me and my buddies are going to do this who are all mechanical able to do so i think its not a matter of work and install its matter of how much problems will i have and so forth. i no once i get it installed im takin it to alternative auto to have them tune it for me. so im hopping for no problems thanx for the info erick

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'll agree that turbos are a little more "involved" and require some general knowledge of how they work to get them to perform efficiently. It's not a big deal really.

As far as what's better on the street, it's really a matter of oppinion (as many internet battles have shown us), but from my experience, the turbo is a much better street performer than a supercharger. I have had two different superchargers in the past as well, so I speak from actual experience with both types of power adders. There are three things I REALLY like about the turbo...Torque, reliability, and the ease of adjustable boost. But, the supercharger can't be beat in ease of installation, availability, support, and price.

I have a lot of "followers" around here who, once they see me at the track, always ask me what I suggest they do to their mustang to increase power. I ask them a few basic questions, and based on those replies, I almost always recommend a supercharger simply because they are easy to install, and can produce more than enough power for the basic enthusiast, and a turbo can get you into trouble quick if you don't have all the right supporting items simply because of the ability to raise boost so easily. If they have more automotive knowledge than the typical car guy I may suggest a turbo.

I also think that similarly equipped mustangs, one with a turbo, and one with an equally capable supercharger, will perform nearly the same at the track. They are both strong in different areas. In the end, it's pretty much a toss up.

I suggest studying everything you can on both subjects and form an oppinion of your own. Listen to people with actual experience, not hearsay. Then decide which one will work best, and fit YOUR needs.

rikhockey

Established Member
thanx alot for your input on this topic i might be PMing u with some questions as in wat wastegate to use or blow off valve and so forth thanx alot erick

Cazsper

Established Member
From what I have heard, the turbo is difficult to tune for if you want to actually drive it on the street. Though it can make tremendous power, it will also creat a lot of heat. I would suggest you get the S-trim. If you want more than that, look into a 331 or even a 351W based stroker..

Users who are viewing this thread