watch it being built???

jtfx6552

Established Member
I think GM has the option for the ZR1, maybe just to see the engine built?

Anyway, they charge a lot for it. I'm glad ford doesn't have that option as it may have been money I would just have to spend...

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
AAI was not built with tours in mind. It's just not a facility that is setup that way. There's a ton of moving parts and moving people in an order that isn't very conducive to spectators and if you put your foot outside the wrong line, you're going to have a lot of people looking at you with not so happy faces asking why you just shutdown a production facility that builds $20,000,000 worth of cars per day. I watched my Ford GT get built, but that was a totally different story because it's just small groups of people walking a chassis on a roller from one station to the other. And of course, SSV was a non-union shop, which significantly simplified the matter.

I think it would be really cool for that to be a "for purchase" option, but I don't see that ever happening as long as the cars are built as they are now.

Last edited:

topless10th

Established Member
i have some feelers out, who knows? to me this car is a big deal and hearing about mt friend's "museum delivery" of his corvette has me wanting this even more. another friend here in ky ordered a black/red conv and our cars are scheduled for the same day, thursday. he has contacted a few people he knows also. i have my fingers crossed. also my chance to see the car without the stripe.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I think I saw that guy Stacy on Gearz build a Ls7 engine as part of the GM option

I think factory pickup would be appealing. I tried to get into the Cleveland engine plant a few months ago and didn't get past the chain link. I was hoping for a foyer access or t-shirt or hat, anything!

91svtbird

Established Member
I believe it takes about 18hours from start to finish to build a car. No way you could follow the complete build.(not practical) I've toured Flat rock twice and it is an amazing facility to see in action. DBK is right ...don't step over the line or all bells and sirens will go off and production will stop....yikes.

topless10th

Established Member
Just watched my car being finished(except for stripes) here at AAI. Everyone here is awesome! They as excited as we are. Actually started my car for its first time. Surreal!

KARSON219

Established Member
Just watched my car being finished(except for stripes) here at AAI. Everyone here is awesome! They as excited as we are. Actually started my car for its first time. Surreal!

SERIOUSLY??!?!?!?!?!?! WTF??????? How did u do that????? I called and they advised no tours or guests allowed. I am going up there in July and they said no. :fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm::fm:

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
you just opened up a can of worms. A lot of people are now going to want to know how to do it. And if they can't, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. Damned if you do, damned if you don't here for Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread