Watch out for the Syclone!

foreverford

Established Member
:eek: :eek:
Question: What is the fastest & quickest production pickup truck EVER made? If you answered a Ford Lightning (either version), or one of the other so-called sport trucks from Chevy or Dodge you would be sadly mistaken.

Answer: Although they are not made anymore, the GMC Syclones & Typhoons are the fastest & the quickest~ hands down.

Now what do you guys think?:rolleyes:

Check out this guy's web site. I think we should find out where this guy lives and invite him to the track and show him some real trucks.:D ;) :p :cool:

Here is his site- http://hometown.aol.com/gmcsyclone/index.html

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
You might not want to do that. Eventhough I think the Lightning is a superior truck Engineering wise. I have driven and seen these Syclones go. They are very fast, and much lighter then the Lightning. I have seen Syclones beat, Camaro Z28's and SS, Corvettes, Cobra's (sorry), all Rice, even Lightning's. Remember they have All-Wheel Drive and they have insta-hook like traction.:( :confused: :)

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
Stock for stock, we may have a chance against a Syclone, depending on luck. But most of time they will win.

4.3 v6 turbo, all wheel drive (see Ford GM did it), lighter, amazing little truck, to bad the barely made many of them.

Hitman

SVT "Cleaner"
Established Member
Lurking in the darkness,monitoring your every move
Had a Sy for a few yrs,loved it,but had to sell for monies for my edumacation. It was a stoplight rocket as well a good runner at the track. I ran consistant high 12's w/ simple mods. I have begun the quest to reclaim another Sy,miss it too much. As much as love my Bolt the AWD is just too damn fun! Now if only I could find one in decent shape that isn't outrageously priced. B/w 12-16k for a "truck" w/ 75-110k on it is lunacy.Especially on a turbo'd engine. Ahhh but the fun I could have. Here's to dreamin!

00redbolt

Established Member
Sy's suck. Had a friend with one in Ga. They are quick for a light peace of tin, but stock to stock, they don't hang with the 2nd Gen bolt. I can't speak for all the other Sy owner, but I can't speak for his. It had all kinds of problems. It would rattle and run like crap all the time. He would take it to GM, and they would fix it again, and again. They do not last:mad: I certainly wouldn't have one. I'll stay with my bolt, 69Mach, 69camero......Just my opion

ib fast

Established Member
Iv'e seen a bone stock 00 at full weight do 13.60s and the 01[stock not modded] is faster so the new Ls are quicker than a syclone.Faster refers to top end and any 99 up L is the fastest truck ever bar none.All i hear about syclones and typhoons is how they are constantly breaking down,this is why you rarely see them. 00L swanson dhip and pro m 12.796 108.97

2001SVTMAN

Established Member
Listen guys,

Bottom line is they were faster because they weighed less, then again it wasn't really a truck either.So yeah, it's fast but then again we're fast and we weight almost twice what these Syclones do.So don't worry 2 much about it, our trucks still kick ass no matter what.(Key word TRUCKS!)

NOSBUSA

Established Member
Here's a site I found from a former typhoon owner and a Lightning owner as you can see the phoon takes the 0-60 but after that it's all the BIG L!!!!!!!!! I know the SYCLONE isn't that much faster than the phoon
http://www.oh.verio.com/~aaron/lightning_vs_typhoon.html
I would love to see our motor in a typhoon or syclone, set up for drag racing!!!!!
click on the home page at the bottom of this site you will see how the first time out it was a fraction slower than the phoon but after practice it was much faster than the phoon ever was!!!!!!!
BYE BYE PHOON

Blackgeetee

Established Member
With all the success of the current lightning, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Syclone return. If it did, I wonder if they would still use a turbocharger, or go with a supercharger. I would guess a similar supercharger like the one being used in the Grand Prix bolted to the new inline six motor. It would be great for the Lightning to meet some real competition other than sports cars.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Everyone has they're own opinion, and I can certainly respect them regardless. Having purchased both of these trucks brand new I will say that the Gen2 is a better built truck, but for me the Syclone is simply more fun to drive. Sure, it has its problems, but so does the L. Wait until these Gen2's get to be another 5+ years older. Look at the problems it has already!

My Sy ran 13.6's at 96 mph when new, bone stock, 70 degrees and super humid. Not to mention I wasn't launching anywhere near as hard as I could have been. The AWD is an absolute BLAST on the street! Nothing,so far, can touch it from a stoplight. Imagine how much quicker the Gen2 would be if you could stall out the converter & build 5#'s of boost or so with your left foot on the brake, then all at once, let off the brakes and smash your right foot through the firewall without repaving the road with GoodYear F1 rubber! Just 'chirp' the tires and you're G-O-N-E !Sounds fun eh? Of course smokin' off the rear tires once in a while is kinda entertaining too!:D

Think about this. How do all of the rest of the 'performance cars/trucks' from the early '90's (save for the ZR1 & Viper) compare to these Gen2's - - They don't! Just the fact that the 1991 GMC Syclone is STILL considered a threat to todays 'fast' cars (and trucks;) ) says it all. Maybe it's not the fastest as far as top speed goes because the stock computer chip shut it down at 126mph , but it's STILL the quickest 'production' pickup on the planet when it comes to Zero to Sixty- hands down! Being as the majority of street races are over not long after 60mph, the Syclone will generally win.(There are always exceptions) I was actually considering a 'new for '92' 300 horsepower LT1 Vette just before I purchased the Sy, but the insurance was too high - Thank God! If I had bought the Vette and still had it today, Gen2's would be stomping me in a straight line!

My L is a real cool truck that I enjoy every day. It's just not my favorite truck, sorry. Enjoy whatcha got. If we all had the same vehicles w/ the same mods and were all as fast as the next, this would suck!:-?

DJANIMATE

Established Member
I bought my Lightning because it's a truck, that includes payload and towing. I don't have anything against the Typhone/Syclone I just don't see them as being able to do anything but go fast. My 02.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
The Syclone may not be able to haul very much weight (500lbs vs. the L's 800#, I think??), but there is still a nice sized box out back that can be used to move lotsa chit. Besides, how many people can't wait to install some kind of tonneau cover, especially a hard tonneau, that really limits what you can toss in the bed. If alot of them are like me, they don't want to beat up their bed hauling too much stuff anyway. And how many have actually towed a trailer with their L regularly? I think it's safe to say the majority of owners bought their L for the same reason I bought it and my Sy - :rolling: SPEED!:rolling:

Oh, and when you lower the L, be real careful about how much weight you toss in the back! That's the main reason for the Sy's low payload(Think they deleted a leaf spring or two also?). Possible damage to the drivetrain/suspension because it was already low from the factory.

Hauling and towing with a Lightning? Yeah, maybe once in a while. But that's like me saying I bought my AWD Syclone just in case I need the extra traction to go off-road once in a while.

Fred Metzler Jr

Established Member
I also have a 93 Typhoon in addition to my 01 Lightning. Now don't get me wrong I LOVE MY LIGHTNING but my Typhoon is quite a bit faster(12.20's in cool weather). Of course I've had eight years of fooling with this thing to get it to run those numbers. Learning to drive the Lightning with rwd as opposed to awd in the Typhoon is another learning experience. The other thing to consider in going up against the Typhoon/Syclone is they aren't moving the weight we are.

A couple of syclones at Commerce GA dragstrip this summer are flirting with the 10's, look stock and go like stink, kinda like the Grand National Buicks you just can't tell rolling up on them on the street.

I'll continue to mod the Lightning and get it to run some low numbers too, so the Typhoon just sits on the other side of the garage and gets a "workout" about once a month now.

Fred
01 BOLT
93 Typhoon
92 Suzuki Swift GT (autocrosser)

NOSBUSA

Established Member
Well with all of this Syclone and Typhoon talk, I may have been converted somewhat, I have done some heavy research on them on several websites, and I'm almost sold on buying one or the other or both! since I also have a 89 TTA made by PAS INC. might as well go ahead and buy something else with a turbo.
So we shall see I'm in no hurry so I will have plenty of time to find a Syclone or Ty..

DR.D

Established Member
djanimate

What are the Wet Okole seat covers I keep seeing on this site?
And as far as the 1/4 midget GM fast trux go, they can be as fast as they want- they don't make 'em anymore. So if ya got one keep it, enjoy it or buy a Lightning and really have some fun. All things considered, it is quite a feat to produce something as strong as the L and still they managed to get some beef behind the engine. usually they leave out fat driveshafts, strong rearends, ..... and you have to add it as you break it.
If the Typhoon and Syclone were still here today i'm afraid i'd go with the L. To me NOTHING sounds as good as a hot V-8.

BfB

Banned
Originally posted by JJ's Whitelight
My 93 Typhoon ran 13.80 bone stock.. 1.86 60ft. and 97mph top end... they hook hard off the line, but run out of steam around 100.. modded Sy's and Ty's are easy low 12 trucks.. and completley drivable....

Funny this thread was started, but my '95 Vette beat a Typhoon here in Mobile, AL. It was ALL Red w/ "TYPHOON" on the tag. Yes, I know, the red is aftermarket paint, not factory.

I went back and got my Lightning and showed him up big time. He was shocked. Of course he didn't know how to drive off the line very well, but we did do a 25 mph gun in both vehicles and both my Vette and My Lightning pulled on him.

I'm not doubting the power of these vehicles, but they weren't the overall fastest production truck ever made (quickest off the line, yes), as the Lightning holds that crown.

BfB

Users who are viewing this thread