Water getting into tail light housing

hyperider

Established Member
Does anybody had this problem before? My back up clear light burnt out. When the Ford dealership replaced the bulb we saw there was half a cup of water in the housing. They said I need to replace the whole housing, it'll cost about $200. I don't think the whole housing needs to be replace. There has to be a way to seal the four bulb plugs only. The housing looks sealed, I think the water is getting into the buld sockets plugs, the one you twist pull it out and insert the bulbs. Some said to put silicon seal. But where do I seal it??? Any other suggestions on how to fix this problem???

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
I'd suggest buying new lights, but not from OEM. I got replacement tails for about $60/ea. if I remember correctly.

I guess you could silicon the existing ones, but how would you get the bulbs out then?

f2hatch

Established Member
mine did the same thing. bought new in the box oem one on ebay for like 60.00 shipped

hyperider

Established Member
so i can't really get away with just putting silicon and re-sealing around the seams of the housing. guess i'll have to buy a new housing. i don't want to use non oem part. i'll try checking in ebay, the $60 is way cheaper than buying from the dealer. thanks for the suggestions!

hyperider

Established Member
update! took the housing out last night found i'm missing one breather tube so the water was leaking in to the hole where it should be. these housing comes with two rubber elbow type breather tubes pointing downwards. one hole was missing one. we just plug it with some silicon seal and flushed the remaining water with an air hose and problem solve! there was nothing wrong with the housing or the bulb plugs at all. i can't believe the local dealership's service adviser didn't bother to check out what the problem was it was an easy fix. they just want to make a $200 sale convincing me to buy a new housing. what a rip off if i did believe them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread