Water in #8 Cylinder head

Mac06

Established Member
So I have a 99 Cobra and the SES light came on Saturday night and I took it to the shop today and they said that the cylinder head on the drivers side at the back of the engine had water in it. The mechanic said that he pulled out the coil plug and the spark plug was also rusted. I just replaced the plugs a few months ago and everything was fine. I did use some degreaser and simple green on the engine a few weeks ago trying to clean it up some, could that have been the problem or do you think it is something worse? The mechanic said he was going to let it dry overnight and check it again tomorrow.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
probably had some water in the spark plug hole making it miss fire a little bit.(thats what caused your ses light to come on)
my guess is nothing is wrong with your heads.
water just got down there from when you washed it.
no big deal

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree. If you have not been blowing clouds of white smoke, and if the anode is not fouled or rusted, then you are not getting water in the combustion chamber. Hit it with a blow dryer, change the plug, apply some anti-arcing goop and go for a ride.

Probably don't even need to change the plug.

Jim Snover

probably had some water in the spark plug hole making it miss fire a little bit.(thats what caused your ses light to come on)
my guess is nothing is wrong with your heads.
water just got down there from when you washed it.
no big deal

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
clean it out, replace all plugs (might as well, its not hard anwyays), check the spring inside the rubber boot attached to the COP, and vuala!

im sure everythings fine. like they said ,prolly got some water under the hood or you/someone else washed it. Always happens to #8 and #4 i believe. Happened to me twice and the car started miss firing.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Its pretty common. Totally the reason #8 is stuck in the head.

Inspect the rubber seal on the coilcover. It might be ripped.

snakebite72

Established Member
same thing happend to me,i washed my engine and developed a misfire,after checking things out found water in the coils on the drivers side,cleaned it up replace the spark plugs,and make sure the seal on the harness to the coils sits on the coil cover where there is a slot for it and your done,be carefull when you wash your engine.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I have a 03 also same deal water ran down to #8 from that grommet seal where the coil wires go through. Find some of that rubber elect. splicing tape and wrap some around grommet, it will help.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Another excellent example of what can happen when you pressure wash your engine - take note folks, the high pressure water (and even nominal pressured water) can find its way into places that you don't want the water going into.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread