Water pump took a crap

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Well, it looks like I'll be replacing the water pump on my wifes Excursion sometime next week. It's puking coolant all over the place.

I'm taking the opportunity to add a coolant bypass filter from Dieselsite ( http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8 ), as well as their billet thermostat housing and their 203 degree thermo.

I'm gonna completely flush the old coolant out too, and switch to an ELC coolant like Chevron Delo, Fleetrite, or maybe the Rotella ELC.

Stewart

Last edited:

flyingw99

The coolant filter is a nice addition. I've had mine for a few months and am anxious to see whats in there.

What type of replacement pump are you going to use? The 7.3 pumps are not cheap especially compared to the Cummins.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
flyingw99 said:
What type of replacement pump are you going to use? The 7.3 pumps are not cheap especially compared to the Cummins.

I'm gonna price the one from my local Ford. I know one of the parts guys there and he gives me a pretty decent discount. I can also get one from Powerstrokeshop.com for $249 plus shipping. I'm also gonna check the local Napa to see how much they want for a new unit.

I will not get a remanned unit though. Unlike a starter or something, these badboys aren't the easiest thing to swap out.

Stewart

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I just installed that very same Bypass coolant filter on my 7.3, Im curious to see what it collects after a month or two. I figure I'll filter out the sand and whatever else now before I give her some fresh coolant. I bought their housing and the 203 thermostat as well.

Just remembered;
Something to keep in the back of your mind, I had to make my own tool to remove the bypass plug on the pump, it was a recessed square drive that measured around 5/16'', so if you have 5/16'' keystock it will come in handy - but if not, you might have to sacrifice a 3/8 short extension to grind down like I did. I talked to Dieselsite before I bought the kit, and they told me some have this and some the plugs you can get with a 3/8 wrench or something. Since you'll have the new pump off to work with this issue, it'll be a little easier to deal with I think.

Last edited:

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Thanks for the heads up.

I think I'll check around and see who carries keystock. I would think the cost wouldn't be too much (maybe a few bucks?) for a short piece in the proper size.

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread