Water Pump

SpyStang95

Established Member
Hey, just throwing around the idea of an electric water pump. Just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with these on a dialy driven 5.0 cobra. Are they reliabe, are they efficient, and do they free up enough horeses to make it worth the money. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
I know of a few people who run them on street cars...

Pros = Full flow at all times even idle (less likely to overheat in traffic), less lag on the motor, look cleaner/cooler. :-D

Cons = More expensive, I'm unsure of this one but it seems to me if a electric pump fails it would likely just quit and your SOL typically beltdriven ones give you some warning so I would ASSUME you would be more likely to get stranded should it wear out/fail. :shrug:

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
My dad had one on his 95 Impy SS...

They fail often really. He never had a problem in about 20k miles, though. Theres a way to wire up a relay, so when it loses power, it will switch to ground, trigger the relay and can flash a light or what ever, to let you know its done. We did that on his car, again, thankfully it never went out.

IMO, the gains are negligable for the worst case scenario.

SpyStang95

Established Member
well, im thinking between that and an aluminum radiator, the thought of overheating should never come up. Im just curious as to if it would free up anything noticable, like maybe a little more free revving. I know its not one of those things you do just for the horsepower gains, but im looking for anything i can get n/a, that would also be benificial later when it hopefully gets some boost.

Users who are viewing this thread