Water Pump?

King Cobra 2001

Smokin' Tires Year Round
Established Member
I tried doing a search, but couldn't come up with what I was looking for.

I was curious of some signs that your water pump has gone bad.

This weekend my car started dumping antifreeze out of somewhere near the base of the engine block. I couldn't really isolate where it was coming from, but it appears to be coming out of a gasket on the underside of the engine (near the oil pan I think). It would only leak out the coolant when the engine was on....so I don't think its a broken/loose hose.

I did just have my thermostat replaced <750 miles ago. I'm not sure what is involved with replacing the thermostat, or exactly where it is on these cars...but is there a chance maybe that the gasket issue is a result of having this done?

All input is greatly appreciated!

J

Janstang

Thermostat is in a cast housing away from the block where all your coolant houses from the block and the lower hose from the radiator merge. Sounds like you are losing antifreeze from the weep hole on the bottom side of you water pump. Is there coolant puddling in the area directly below the water pump, on the front cover, and then running down from there? Also, make sure your coolant crossover tubes aren't leaking. Check where they mount into each head and ensure the areas are dry, if they are its a good chance its the water pump..

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
im almost positive its ur water pump. mine did the same thing and it leaked from the whole, a peep whole or leak whole i dont know what they call it.
but it was time for a new water pump and problem solved

01vert

Established Member
If it only does it when running it is usually the weep hole on the waterpump. No idea if a mod even has a weep hole but when the packing at the shaft wears out it weeps out that hole. Bottomside of the pump assembly. Happened on my 351 cleveland, but you could also hear the pump slightly.

9804SNAKES

Established Member
I tried doing a search, but couldn't come up with what I was looking for.

I was curious of some signs that your water pump has gone bad.

This weekend my car started dumping antifreeze out of somewhere near the base of the engine block. I couldn't really isolate where it was coming from, but it appears to be coming out of a gasket on the underside of the engine (near the oil pan I think). It would only leak out the coolant when the engine was on....so I don't think its a broken/loose hose.

I did just have my thermostat replaced <750 miles ago. I'm not sure what is involved with replacing the thermostat, or exactly where it is on these cars...but is there a chance maybe that the gasket issue is a result of having this done?

All input is greatly appreciated!

Some guys in another thread said that the o-ring going bad or being pinched can cause that. My '98 is doing that now and I just had it replaced with a Ford pump. Everytime I back her out of the garage, I see a small puddle. I am going to replace it either way, because it is 98 pump and I hear the '01 pumps are better. Plus I am looking into electric.

I had my water pump on my old 01 Cobra weep at about 55k. Trust me, if your o-ring is failing on your water pump, you will see the leaking while the motor is running. That was the purpose of the weep hole design. Bad o-ring = constant weeping.

Users who are viewing this thread