Water Pump ?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I noticed some antifreeze on the floor and it looks like I need a new water pump. I have a few questions:
1. Is the water pump like a clutch cable, meaning is the OEM water pump the one to get instead of one from O'Reiillly, Advanced, or vatozone?
2. Advanced says there are two different water pumps for the '99 Cobra. One is shrouded and one isn't. The shrouded one is more expensive and is supposed to be an extreme duty water pump. Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this? The unshrouded one is the one they carry in stock.
3. My manual says the fan and fan shroud needs to be removed, but it looks like there is enough room after removing the vertical hose off the crossover. I don't think removing the fan and shroud are a big thing, but I don't like doing unnecessary work. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

99MystiC

Established Member
When i changed my water pump to an electrical i never removed fan shroud or fan. Had plenty of room. I myself would go with OEM products. I cant say i have experience with other brands but thats my opinion.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The Shrouded water pump has a plate over the back of the water pump impeller, this prevents cavitation and reduces parasitic loss. Call up Steve at Tousley and get an OEM Ford water pump. Be sure to specify for a 99 cobra as the water pump changed between 99 and 01.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread