Water Temp guage

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
I have purchased a water temp guage to go in my 99 mustang because I am just really unsure of the factory temp guage. My belt broke recently on my car and the temperature never climbed past normal. My question is, do I need to leave the factory sending unit that is on the intake, or can I simply remove it, have a dead guage on the dash, and install the one that came with the autometer guage? Does my engine need that sensor to run efficiently, or does it have one in another place to send the information to the computer. I have heard some people say you can remove it, and I have heard some people say that you must leave the factory sensor and put a T in to install the autometor sending unit also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
What does the repair manual say about that? On my '95 Cobra, there were two sending units ... one sent a signal to the computer, and the other one sent a signal to the dash gauge. I replaced the second one with the sender that came with the AutoMeter gauge, and all worked fine.

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
Dano said:
What does the repair manual say about that? On my '95 Cobra, there were two sending units ... one sent a signal to the computer, and the other one sent a signal to the dash gauge. I replaced the second one with the sender that came with the AutoMeter gauge, and all worked fine.

I talked with a couple of people, and they informed me that the 4.6 engines only have one unit. It feeds the computer and the guage. I can't take it out. I made me a fitting to g inline with my heater hose and put the sending unit as close to the exit on the back of the intake that I could get. I was really afraid that it wouldn't be very accurate but it seems to be pretty close. The factory guage is complete crap IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread