waterin cylinder

gatorfan462

Established Member
I was changing my spark plugs to fix a misfire I was having and upon removing the driver side rear coil pack, it had water on it. I was not thinking and removed the spark plug and I believe some of the water has now gotten down in cylinder.

What is the best way to get the water out? It is calling for rain the next 2 days and I want t get the car back together before then.

I dried the coil pack out and removed all the water from it. Is it still ok to use?

SirShaun

Established Member
I think you are alright, as long as it wasn't too much water. It should come out as steam. Doesn't sound like enough to hydrolock the motor.

Slap it back together and be done with it. If it doesn't crank you got a problem, if it does crank then keep on getting up.

You could pull all the plugs and turn the motor over a few times if you are that worried. Pistons will push the water out the same way it went in.

Last edited:

gatorfan462

Established Member
Ok, I left it sitting out there with everything cover up thinking about letting it dry but I will go out there and finish it up. I just wanted to make sure that I did not mess anything up by putting it back together.

Steve@Tasca

I'd suggest cranking it over a few times with the plug out, might even want to unplug all the coils so it can't start.

-Steve

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd suggest cranking it over a few times with the plug out, might even want to unplug all the coils so it can't start.

-Steve
This is what I would do, but I'd pull all the plugs to do it. Motor will spin faster and displace the water out of the cylinders. If the car's been sitting for a few hours, most of that water is probably now in the crankcase. In that case I'd drive it around long enough to make sure any water in the oil evaporates. If it equates to a whole bank or both banks, I'd probably change the oil.

gatorfan462

Established Member
I took all the plugs out and cranked it. And then installed all the plugs and it fired up, then I drove it to get gas and to get some dinner and everything seemed fine.

Users who are viewing this thread