• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Way to make my 03 Mach 1 stick out better since stock hood had to be removed

Discussion in 'Mach 1' started by Andrew Hoffman, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Andrew Hoffman

Andrew Hoffman New Member

First off i want to start this post off saying i tried my best to keep stock hood and shaker system to fit in my new build, sadly it wasn't possible. I put a 07 GT500 power train into my 03 DSG mach 1, which as you can probably assume meant very little room for anything stock. I ended up going with a cobra R hood(which still barely fit), and had to do a 03 cobra bumper so that the heat exchange had more room to breath. So basically the car now just looks like a suped up GT and that is not OK. I'm thinking of doing the mach 1 striping on the cobra R hood, but i am just not sure what else to do.

Every idea is helpful!

crop 1.jpg crop 2.jpg crop 3.jpg

2. lOOKnGO

lOOKnGO Keep'um smiling Established Member

How about cutting the hole in the cowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Andrew Hoffman

The supercharger is about an 1/8 of an inch from the top of the cowl, there would be no room to put in the shaker piece.

4. my04mach

my04mach Member Established Member

I think I'd probably just skip it. I don't think the hood decal would look too good without the shaker to break it up between the front and the end of the hood. Maybe someone could photoshop one on it and see.

I like this to replace the fender emblem.

[​IMG]

5. StrayBullitt

StrayBullitt Well-Known Member Established Member

Killer, Man that thing must be a beast...

sorry brother, I think your MACH is stuck with an identity crisis with those wheels/ bumper/ Hood

6. Andrew Hoffman

Never had the stock rims, but i did replace those with 18" Anthracite FR500s. P315/35R-18 TOYO PROXES in the back and 275/35ZR-18 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 in the front

7. StrayBullitt

StrayBullitt Well-Known Member Established Member

If it were my car, I would go with AFS replica Mach 1 wheels and somehow trim or modify the original front bumper for better air flow. Get it going back in the Mach1 direction. I think if you're stuck with the Cobra R hood it looks good, but anything added to it would look tacky.

SLOW32V likes this.
  8. Andrew Hoffman

it is going to be a drag/cruise car(at most probably 800hp) it already has the old muscle car slant due to the weight of the engine pulling the springs down. I want to come up with a hybrid design of the old 69/71 mach and the current 03/04 mach. There is almost no way to bring this car back to original mach 1 look so i want to make it a 1 of a kind(but not crazy paint jobs)

9. lOOKnGO

I too wanted that look. I went with the carbon hood to resemble the 69 Mach 1 large black out. I went with the 70 honeycomb treatment in the rear, and the Mach fuel lid. I would post pics, but don't want to bomb your thread. No mistaking my ride as a Mach.

10. SLOW32V

SLOW32V New Member Established Member

Why not just mount the shaker to the hood somehow? (This is pretty close to my dream build)

Sent from my XT1254 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

11. lOOKnGO

The base of the shaker would get in the way for sure. If he did just bolt the upper half to a fabricated pan, and attached that to the underside of the hood, that could work if he has the room. I couldn't make it work. It looked to fake.[​IMG]

12. Mattstang04

Mattstang04 Member Established Member

The 69 and 70 mach 1s had a pretty noticeable side stripe. I ding think you could pull off the high visibility look of the originals but steel from the design layout. Maybe a vinyl shop could fab up something in the same style with a satin back and silver accent. Then maybe do a full satin black wrap on the hood. That's some cues from the oldies. Emblems deleted on the fenders for the stripes, honeycomb on the backend with their mach 1 letters on it. Some people like the cobra jet emblems in the sides of the shakers, you could put those on the sides of the cowl hood. I probably wouldn't but if you want old school cues the cobra jet emblems were original to those cars.

13. Mattstang04

Mattstang04 Member Established Member

The 69 and 70 also had the non functional longer scoop but i think stacking that on the existing cowl would get a little clunky looking. Might look good grafted onto a new edge v6 hood but you don't have the clearance for that.

14. Andrew Hoffman

don1.jpg don2.jpg don3.jpg don4.jpg All great ideas and I appreciate the feedback, I am in talks with my paint guy now to see what we can come up with. Car will probably end up completely custom design in the end due to no easy ways to make the mach 1 look. Also some updated pics with new rims and tires(and a few more miles)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  15. 03DSGMach1

03DSGMach1 10's or Bust! Established Member

Any chance that you could lower the engine enough to get some more clearance to mount the upper half of the shaker to the hood?

16. Andrew Hoffman

Engine is as low as it can get, with tubular k-member already replacing the original.