Ways to reduce under hood temps in Summer

stanger1

Established Member
Guys,
This may have been talked about about before, but I am wondering a way to reduce underhood temps on my Mustang 5.0 with Roushcharger.
While driving, I am running coolant temps of 190's,
but after shutdown, the underhoods temps just skyrocket.
I really don't want to get vents in the hood like the 13-14's, but there really is no other way to let that heat out from under the hood.
We are having Summer temps around 105-110 degree's and the car just smells hot when I pull into the garage.
Some cars run the fans after you turn the key off, but that could run the battery down if relay stuck closed.
Anybody wondering the same thing??

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I have teh Cowl hood and the Fog-Light High flow mod....my temps are about the same though unless I am moving.
Once moving the temps are cooler than you are showing.

When I pull in to the garage I always pop the hood and leave it open. The only other thing I can recommend for you is to get a VMP HE with the dual fans. Also run a 70/30 mix of water/coolant if you can.

stanger1

Established Member
Should have put more info,
Car is a Roush Stage 2, so Already have the Roush grille, but temps are ok while running as I could always put a different thermostat in and have tune changed for that, But it's after the car in turned off or even extended idling, it would be nice to get all that heat from under the hood out.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unless you are road course racing your car, there is no need for a larger radiator in my opinion. If it were my car, I'd opt for the Reische 170* thermostat from Lethal Performance, change the antifreeze ratio to 70% water / 30% antifreeze, and pour in 2 bottles of Amsoil Dominator Coolant boost.

Taking it a step further, you may install MMR head cooling mod to lower head coolant temps.

This combination will lowering under hood temps 20-30 degrees.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread