We are our own worst enemy.

FormulaFord

Established Member
I just spoke to SVT regarding the GT500. They told me that the production version should be released next January. Then dealers will start taking orders. All we are doing by giving deposits to dealers early is jacking up the dealer profits on the car. Im sure we have all seen the "lack of availability" or whatever else they call it next to the window stickers. Relax and you will get a better deal. I paid $9,000 less for my 04 than my buddies 03. Just my 2 cents worth.

R1Lello

Established Member
FormulaFord said:
I just spoke to SVT regarding the GT500. They told me that the production version should be released next January. Then dealers will start taking orders. All we are doing by giving deposits to dealers early is jacking up the dealer profits on the car. Im sure we have all seen the "lack of availability" or whatever else they call it next to the window stickers. Relax and you will get a better deal. I paid $9,000 less for my 04 than my buddies 03. Just my 2 cents worth.

:rockon:

I agree with you. It will be no different as when I buying the latest and greatest superbike (my other toy). People put deposits on them to get them, and when the time nears, they either don't have the cash, can't get the credit, or can't afford the insurance. I was close to dropping a deposit last week but I will wait. I recall up here in Canada, there were some good discounts on the 04 svt's. I have the money but I'd rather chance it and get some discount over none..........and if I'm wrong, well then I'll order the 08 which will give us plenty of time for tests and reviews.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Hey, R1Lello .. my R1 Brother. Not a bad analogy, deposits don't mean much for bikes for sure, the sales guys will tell ya that up front, put a deposit down, a guy walks in with cash for the newest monster bike & they'll call your butt & say come in with the cash or credit right now or you're getting bumped .. by someone who was never on a list. This happened with my red 04 R1. I went in the shop for lube for my CRF450R, they were rolling a red R1 onto the floor, I saw it & grabbed my sales guy & said I gotta get one of those, he said hold on, came back out & said you got cash it yours, I did & it was, even got $1K off for repeat buyer & cash discount, I found out while doing the paperwork there were at least 3 guys on the waiting list for a red one, none could come down right then when he called them & make it happen.

Cars aren't as bad at this as bikes for sure, but it is the case. I'll get x plan on my Shelby, relative in Ford and I konw the GM at an SVT dealer so I'm lucky, got my 03 on the road for $38K on x plan when they were $5K marked up in the same dealership, but these early deposits can only serve to artificially inflate the prices at dealers, which is a shame since it looks like this is going to be one helluva car for the money, based on speculative MSRP's at this point.

BTW, don't you love the R1?! Best bike I've ever owned, so smooth, fast, beautiful Ducati like style, and at 6'3" 215 lbs, the most comfortable sportbike I've ever been on - only bike I've felt passionate about like the Mustang.

dino03

FormulaFord said:

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't believe people are putting down deposits to get in line to buy a car with a huge markup. I waited until I could buy my 03 at msrp, 2 months later I could of had it for 3 grand less. I learned my lesson patients is a virtue.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
FormulaFord said:

I second the notion. Putting a deposit down on a car that isn't even being produced yet is just plain nuts. :shrug: I understand why people are doing it though, it's going to be a bad ass car and they want to be the first in line to get one. I feel the same way but there are still a lot of "if's" that need to be answered before I will put any of my hard earned cash down on one. No one is even sure of the price of the car yet nor have the production power ratings been released. Plus it's not like were dealing with a limited production car like the Cobra R. Ford has stated it will build as many as people are willing to buy so there really is no point to putting down a deposit. I have my name on a buyers list but it's just to obtain information from my dealer as it's released. All the initial hype over the car only serves one purpose and that's to jack up the price. My advice is to wait until the production version is shown at the Detroit Auto show before signing any buyers agreement or putting any money down. Just my 2 cents.................

R1Lello

Established Member
Daffy said:
Hey, R1Lello .. my R1 Brother. Not a bad analogy, deposits don't mean much for bikes for sure, the sales guys will tell ya that up front, put a deposit down, a guy walks in with cash for the newest monster bike & they'll call your butt & say come in with the cash or credit right now or you're getting bumped .. by someone who was never on a list. This happened with my red 04 R1. I went in the shop for lube for my CRF450R, they were rolling a red R1 onto the floor, I saw it & grabbed my sales guy & said I gotta get one of those, he said hold on, came back out & said you got cash it yours, I did & it was, even got $1K off for repeat buyer & cash discount, I found out while doing the paperwork there were at least 3 guys on the waiting list for a red one, none could come down right then when he called them & make it happen.

Cars aren't as bad at this as bikes for sure, but it is the case. I'll get x plan on my Shelby, relative in Ford and I konw the GM at an SVT dealer so I'm lucky, got my 03 on the road for $38K on x plan when they were $5K marked up in the same dealership, but these early deposits can only serve to artificially inflate the prices at dealers, which is a shame since it looks like this is going to be one helluva car for the money, based on speculative MSRP's at this point.

BTW, don't you love the R1?! Best bike I've ever owned, so smooth, fast, beautiful Ducati like style, and at 6'3" 215 lbs, the most comfortable sportbike I've ever been on - only bike I've felt passionate about like the Mustang.

;-)

Hey Daffy, I do love my R1 but may sell it and other toys to buy this GT500......bottom line, had sportbikes for 8-9 years now(2000R1 also), I'm 40 years old with a wife and 10 year old boy. Time to slow down..........my son and I also have dirtbikes too. I must be going thru mid-life as I'm wanting a new toy but this way I can get it, have it almost paid off and pay less on insurance too. Oh by the way, isn't this bike sickening fast??? gotta love it, no fear on any road with anything really.............Take care

Last edited:

carstocks

Established Member
Actually, if the dealership writes you up a contract stating "MSRP", it's a VERY smart move to give a deposit. Years ago, a dealership did that for me on a car that wasn't out yet.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
A Ford rep stated at the recent NY auto show that Ford will build as many GT500s as the market will bear.

In other words, there will be no limited, fixed production number. They will build in response to demand.

So there is absolutely no need to put a deposit down for this car. You will get what you want by next summer.

This is also good news for the 03 and 04 production. They will be scarcer than 07 (and 08) Cobras. 03 and 04 ragtops will be especially unique if Ford doesn't make them in 07 as is currently planned.

rezcobra

Established Member
FormulaFord said:

But then there's always the dealers who refuse to jack up prices beyond MSRP. I got my 03 in 02 for MSRP, and you can bet I'll use that dealer again. I refuse to buy from dealers that jack prices even if they have vehicles on sale, phugem!!!

Users who are viewing this thread