We should petition for a recall !!!

MongoCobra

Established Member
I have recently experienced the stall when decelerating, almost losing control of the car. This is obviously a dangerous situation and not particular to one individual.

How do we go about informing Ford of the problem, having them do the necessary research and getting a fix in place?

We shouldn't wait for someone to wrap their car around a pole (or worse) before we act.

lethal

Established Member
I had it happen to me this morning, this makes stall number three. All happened the same way.

Decelerating, foot off gas, turning right. Stall.

It sucks... hopefully they will figure it out.

And I agree its VERY dangerous... losing your breaking ability and if I had been going much faster would have smacked someone in the parking garage.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
I would sign it in a heartbeat. The problem is becoming both anyoing and really dangerous. Something needs to be done soon !!!

CobraTone

Established Member
It's happened to be a couple of times, just as you all described. However, it hasen't happened in over a month, so I don't know what the hell it could be.

haskett

Established Member
Good luck getting Ford to respond. While giving them the opportunity, Ford has set my expectations low enough that nothing short of the NHTSA's involvement will make anything happen.

docs03

Established Member
For all of you having the stall, what is the computer code for your car? Have you had the PCM reflashed?

doc

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have not stalled, yet.... My 2001 cobra stalled all of the damn time. Nothing new to Ford. My computer code is YDHO

Last edited:

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
It's happened to be a couple of times, just as you all described. However, it hasen't happened in over a month, so I don't know what the hell it could be.

I'd say its driving style. I agree it would be fruitless to ask Ford for a recall -- it is of concern, for sure.

As far as computer codes, I think it has been noticed on all codes so far. Mine happens to be a second run YDH0 computer. I know other siwth the first run had the problem as well.

I have not had my computer reflashed. -shrug- :dw:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by docs03
For all of you having the stall, what is the computer code for your car? Have you had the PCM reflashed?

doc

No code ever sets. This means 1 of 2 things. The PCM loses power before a problem is recorded or the PCM thinks it's normal. I read before that the PCM is being fooled into closing a valve causing the stall. I'll be darned if I can't find the thread now. My service techs have told me that the problem is known by Ford and a new code has been written but awaiting EPA approval. OBTW my PCM's never been reflashed and mine hasn't stalled since I installed the TB. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
My 01 stalled all the time. They said and I quote... "PCM still learning driving habits.".... <sigh> after 4 months?

-- Jaret

My1stFord

Established Member
It is quite a pucker factor when you unexpectedly lose power steering / brakes while in traffic on the freeway for the first time - YDHO here and I've had it happen at least 2x.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
My car has stalled 3x, the only reason I have not mentioned it to my dealer is because as far as I know it only stalls when the clutch is in and the car is rolling very very slowly (2-5mph) so its not too dangerous as of now. Also, I know if I did mention it that it would take months and months before my dealer would do anything. I am still trying to get them to fix what I think is a spun rod bearing, but the dealer just said "oh you must have the engine tick" so they put my car back together and gave it back to me and said I need to wait for a fix!!! Meanwhile my car is rattling like its a 20 year old car! Sorry for rambling, my point is that its going to be really hard to get any answers about the stalling.

Blades

Established Member
Seems like all of you have a CAI. Is anyone having those stalling problems without a CAI?

Silver 03 Cobra

I have a 9 inch conical K&N on my 03 and have never stalled. I put a BBK CAI on the 01 Cobra I owned and it stalled until I got a chip programmed from JMS for my mods and the stall went away. I think if you mess with the intake and exhaust it is not Ford's responsibilty.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Where do I sign...

Stock car, YDH0 computer and stalled 2x's in the 20 days I've had the car. Once under braking from 25-30mph and it died at 5-10mph. The 2nd was yesterday, backing out of my driveway. Both times the clutch was pushed all the way. :shrug:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Ford shouldn't be responsible? If someone put exhaust on their car than they should be responsible if it was stalling??? Even if the CAI and exhuast are causing the stalling Ford should STILL be responsible. A performance car should not stall from changing the filter or puting on a better flowing exhuast.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
My stall situation seems to be more dangerous than all of yours! Mine only stalls at HIGH SPEED if I push in the clutch and place the tranny in nuetral while rolling downhill. The car has done this from the beginning, prior to what few mods I've made thus far.

This used to happen almost EVERY evening on the way home from work as I approached the toll booth. The toll booth is located just on the other side of a bridge. My speed as I crest the bridge is usually about 60MPH. As soon as I crest the bridge I tap the brake to disengage the cruise control, then I snick the shifter into nuetral and coast down the other side of the bridge as I approach the toll booth. The road actually makes a slight bend to the right and there's nothing that will raise your "pucker factor" to 9.5 more so than losing the power steering and brakes at 50-60MPH! I can make my car stall at this paticular spot EVERY TIME if I want to...

Now I no longer put the car in nuetral as I crest the bridge because of the stall, I down-shift to 5th and leave it in gear while applying the brakes. I've already called Ford and lodged a complaint. I highly encourage all of you to do the same!

U.M.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Ford shouldn't be responsible? If someone put exhaust on their car than they should be responsible if it was stalling??? Even if the CAI and exhuast are causing the stalling Ford should STILL be responsible. A performance car should not stall from changing the filter or puting on a better flowing exhuast.

Ford IS responsible for my stall. I had mine documented and duplicated by Ford when the car was 100% stock. They left the discrepancy "open" and "awaiting repair" so I'm covered. I feel the key is to finding a dealership you trust and a willingness to be without your car for a while. I did so I don't have any worries about Ford not fixing this in the future.

Black03Venom

Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
My stall situation seems to be more dangerous than all of yours! Mine only stalls at HIGH SPEED if I push in the clutch and place the tranny in nuetral while rolling downhill. The car has done this from the beginning, prior to what few mods I've made thus far.

This used to happen almost EVERY evening on the way home from work as I approached the toll booth. The toll booth is located just on the other side of a bridge. My speed as I crest the bridge is usually about 60MPH. As soon as I crest the bridge I tap the brake to disengage the cruise control, then I snick the shifter into nuetral and coast down the other side of the bridge as I approach the toll booth. The road actually makes a slight bend to the right and there's nothing that will raise your "pucker factor" to 9.5 more so than losing the power steering and brakes at 50-60MPH! I can make my car stall at this paticular spot EVERY TIME if I want to...

Now I no longer put the car in nuetral as I crest the bridge because of the stall, I down-shift to 5th and leave it in gear while applying the brakes. I've already called Ford and lodged a complaint. I highly encourage all of you to do the same!

U.M.

When you do that, have you checked what your RPM's are? It could be an idle issue :shrug: If it is due to low idle speed, perhaps adjusting the idle screw on your TB. I gathered this due to two facts, one guy said his stopped when he put on an aftermarket TB and I had the same problem on my QUD2- adjusted the idle and no problems since...... Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread