Weapon-X Coils

LightningLou

Established Member
So, my Accel cops are one by one taking a crap on me and I have a horrible miss now under load and I ohm tested them and they are all above 6 ohm. One is even 6.9 ohm lol. Who here is running Weapon-X coils and have noticed a performance difference, idle quality, or fuel mileage? Also what sparkplugs are you running with these?? I am really hoping maybe these cops can tame the idle of my comp cams a bit and improve the throttle response. Also, where is the cheapest place to pick these up at on the web? Thanks in advance guys. :beer:

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
I think I would stick with the stock OEM coil packs if these ones are going bad or getting there. Wouldn't go with any aftermarket coils. But that's just me. Good luck with it.

Krwy

Established Member
So, my Accel cops are one by one taking a crap on me and I have a horrible miss now under load and I ohm tested them and they are all above 6 ohm. One is even 6.9 ohm lol. Who here is running Weapon-X coils and have noticed a performance difference, idle quality, or fuel mileage? Also what sparkplugs are you running with these?? I am really hoping maybe these cops can tame the idle of my comp cams a bit and improve the throttle response. Also, where is the cheapest place to pick these up at on the web? Thanks in advance guys. :beer:

I would buy them from Lethal Performance unless you can get a set used. As far as performance and drivabilty, there is probably a thread every 4-5 days on all the Lightning message boards(ie, LightningRodder, NLOC, etc.). Try searching for your answer.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
I have talked with JL at length about these COPs. He is very pumped up about them. He used to run most customer's trucks on stockers with a KB Boost a Spark. The Weapon X are outperforming that combo according to Johnny.

They look to be quality. Especially nice is the lack of bolt making plug changes quicker(very important since you are spraying). The newest design seals the plug well completely.

I won't change my stockers for no reason but when/if they fail I will go Weapon X. I would defer to JLP for plug choices. Not sure I would run the WeaponX resistorless ones without strong encouragement.

Jim

Last edited:

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
JL recommends denso plugs with the weapon-x cops. They were having issues using the weapon-x ones being resistorless and causing electrical interference or something.

I've got the weapon-x's in mine and love them. Also, before I had stock COP's and NGK BR7EF's, and the rear view mirror would vibrate from the stage 3 heads & cams. Now with the denso's and weapon-x's the idle is pretty smooth for stage 3 stuff, and the rear view mirror doesn't shake lol

wd13

Established Member
I have the WeaponX cop's too. I run them in conjunction with a BAS. The sprak blowout problems I was having are now gone. I was using the Denso IT24's and have recently swithched to NGK BR7EF's The idle sucks with the NGK's and I'll be switching back to the Denso plugs

ecoastkid

Established Member
All aftermarket Cops are junk...go to stockers until your in the low 10's or 9's (less money and way more reliable)...then switch to a LS1 setup. Do a search around the sites and you will see just how many people have issues. Sure some don't, but they sure seem to be the minority.

wd13

Established Member
All aftermarket Cops are junk...go to stockers until your in the low 10's or 9's (less money and way more reliable)...then switch to a LS1 setup. Do a search around the sites and you will see just how many people have issues. Sure some don't, but they sure seem to be the minority.

Have you used the Weapon X cop's? Are you running low 10's or 9's? How about 10's period? Seems to me it would be tough to come to your own conclusion with out the experience. Must be the voice of others who haven't tried them either. :rollseyes

I can tell you from experience, the Weapon X is a better cop than the stock ones from a performance stand point. how long will they last? Dont know. Going on a year with mine. They havent missed a beat.

Last edited:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
from the posts from the guys at weapon x talkin to johnny and stan these things sound like they will be the ticket to a better coil for the lighting

im waiting for some one on a street truck to go 4v with a cam mount (i could see some BIG rpm coming out of this set up... ahumm fuzzie... busakiller... ahummm

MiaLightning

Established Member
I've been running the Weapon X coils/ Denso it-22's for 8 months and i have to say they work great.. I have a better idle than with the stock coils/ plugs and the truck has awesome throttle response/ performance.. MPG, i'm doing about 295-320miles to the tank (on a street tune and going easy on the throttle) which is not bad compared to 300-330miles/tank that i used to get on the stock tune/coils/plugs/boost.. I got my Weapon X coils from JLP for 300.00 if i'm not mistaken.. :thumbsup:

ecoastkid

Established Member
Have you used the Weapon X cop's? Are you running low 10's or 9's? How about 10's period? Seems to me it would be tough to come to your own conclusion with out the experience. Must be the voice of others who haven't tried them either. :rollseyes

I can tell you from experience, the Weapon X is a better cop than the stock ones from a performance stand point. how long will they last? Dont know. Going on a year with mine. They havent missed a beat.

Like I said...some have good luck...but read around...most dont. The stock ignition is good for high 9's No...I have not done it personally, but people I know have. What does personal experiance have to do with it anyways? I don't have to stab myself to know its not good for me.:rollseyes. I've been in and around the Lightning boards for almost 4 years and other forums for longer. I've read countless threads where people have issues and switch back to stock.

Hear are some threads for your reading pleasure?

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107697&page=6
Stock COP's vs Aftermarket COP Discussion. - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

Hell...this very thread were in is about yet another person having issues with aftermarket cops...

Last edited:

s|ck

Established Member
I've heard nothing but good things about the Weapon-X Coils, that is what I am going with for my build.

LightningLou

Established Member
I think I'm gonna try out a set of the Weapon-X coils because I like the design and I absolutely hate the cheap oem style coils. I'd like to be able to run TR6's with a bit wider gap and better driveability which seems much more possible with the Weapon-X's. If the oem coils used something other then a spring hovering over the tip of the plug then maybe I wouldn't hate the stockers so much but the spring just screams cheap to me and it's awesome how Weapon-X just snaps into place without the extra bolts for the coils.

Now where did all you Weapon-X users pick up your cops at?? :)

wd13

Established Member
Like I said...some have good luck...but read around...most dont. The stock ignition is good for high 9's No...I have not done it personally, but people I know have. What does personal experiance have to do with it anyways? I don't have to stab myself to know its not good for me.:rollseyes. I've been in and around the Lightning boards for almost 4 years and other forums for longer. I've read countless threads where people have issues and switch back to stock.

Hear are some threads for your reading pleasure?

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107697&page=6
Stock COP's vs Aftermarket COP Discussion. - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

Hell...this very thread were in is about yet another person having issues with aftermarket cops...
Most of what I have seen/read is people having trouble with aftermarket remakes of the stock COP. The Weapon X is nothing like that. I've heard of very few problems with the Weapon X. IMO its more of the same people on another bandwagon. And, most of these very people only know what they have heard from someone else who only knows what they have heard.And so on. This is why someone needs to experience these things for themselves. I have and I know 100% in my mind that I'm right. Kinda reminds me on back in the day when everyone thought a 2# lower was pushing the ragged edge. :nonono:

blk00gtvert

Established Member
Sniper tuning has bought out weapon X and is there main dealer. I have been selling them like hotcakes and they are performing AMAZING!!!!

I used them on a F1A cobra with 30 psi and before i was running .020 plug gap. i was able to open it up to .030 and no spark blowout.:banana:

NO complaints with them

Jubei

Established Member
Stock is the way to go, nothing on paper that can justify any gains in going aftermarket versus keeping stock coil packs.

Users who are viewing this thread