Weekend warrior road racing?

DCTHOM3

Established Member
Anyone one road race their terminator? If so, are there any must have mods? Just wondering because a new track is opening in northern Ky. So i might try it out. Here's a link to the track layout for any one interested. It's near the KY Speedway in Sparta. Should be open spring 09'.http://www.drivebluegrass.com/images/site.pdf

Scottyk

Established Member
yea I was curious about this as well.. I almost went to road america with mine but didnt know how well the car would cope with extended periods of time WOT. I cant afford to mess it up so I just stayed at home. I know someone out there has tried this before..

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
yea I was curious about this as well.. I almost went to road america with mine but didnt know how well the car would cope with extended periods of time WOT. I cant afford to mess it up so I just stayed at home. I know someone out there has tried this before..

long periods of time wot= engine damage:nono:

sonic cobra

Established Member
If you have never done it before, all you need is a well maintained car. Good tires, fresh oil and brake fluid, an extra set of front brake pads and the right attitude.
Again, if you are new to this you will spend less time at WOT than you think. Stock,the Cobra is far more capable than most drivers.
Go for it, you will have a blast!

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
if you have never done it before, all you need is a well maintained car. Good tires, fresh oil and brake fluid, an extra set of front brake pads and the right attitude.
Again, if you are new to this you will spend less time at wot than you think. Stock,the cobra is far more capable than most drivers.
Go for it, you will have a blast!

+1

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
For something that will be a weekend warrior with some occasional track outings there are a few things that could help out.

Aluminum rack bushings
Subframe Connectors
Aerforce gauge (to moniter temps among other things)
Having a seperate tune with a richer AFR and less timing to keep temps down would be nice.
Brake cooling ducts
Coilovers
Seperate set of track tires
Diff cooler
Heat Exchanger
Pull the hood blanket and open up vents
Porting the Eaton
Aftermarket Radiator
160* T-stat

The list could go on and on with mods for open tracking. Send a PM Jimmysidecarr, Shelbyguy, or Ace427cobra for all the info you need

weekend warrior for me

:shrug: I don't think thats what he was looking for.

long periods of time wot= engine damage:nono:

Not necessarily, there are plenty of Terminators that have lots of fun on the open track. Having some modifications to the cooling and suspension doesn't hurt, along with the proper gauges to keep an eye on temps.

DCTHOM3

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it a lot. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to replace most of the bushings in the rear end, and since new port prices are out, I may do that as well. Again thanks for all the info.

Ryushin

Established Member
I heard that there was a big nut that you have to make sure stays tighten on the drivers side IRS when road racing. It was something like a 38mm nut or something to that affect.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
If your cobra is setup to be a quarter mile car you may want to consider bringing it back to its stock configuration for your first few open track days. Then talk with the guys in the open track forum about upgrades.

I've found the car has plenty of power stock but needs help with the brakes. I never realized that driving and turning using the brakes alone could be so much fun. They take a beating but thankfully are relatively easy and cheap to keep maintained. This car has really nice toraue delivery and plenty of it and is surprisingly well balanced so getting intentional oversteer, understeer, and 4 wheel drifting is pretty easy once you get some practice and get know different types of corners and road conditions. With my mostly stock car I'm at about a 30% duty cycle: 20 minutes on track, 40 minutes cool down.

I suggest waiting on all other mods until you drive your car. It will be apparent what needs to be upgraded as you try to get faster times and as you realize how you want to drive your car.

It is a blast. IMO much more fun than drag racing.

Last edited:

sonic cobra

Established Member
I've not been on track at Etown but been there observing. Not a good place to start IMO. There is NJ Motorsports Park in Millville NJ with two road courses and Pocono has three road course configurations. Check out NASA at Welcome to NASAProRacing.com!. They run events at both places and provide both classroom and expert in car instruction. It will cost you but get used to it. This addiction is not cheap
SVTOA also runs a regional track event at Summit Point WV in May which is a wonderful weekend experience.

Users who are viewing this thread