Weighing out my options.

32VDOHC

Established Member
Well guys, about a week ago I was driving the Cobra on the expressway when I downshifted on the exit ramp and heard the worst sound ever. I immediatly turned the car off and coasted to the side. Worst thing is the car only has 34k miles on her. :(

Basically here is what I have.
-Dipstick is stuck, won't budge or come out of the tube
-Small oil leak that I beleive is coming from the oil pan
-Compression on all cylinders, except #7. Piston doesnt move in cylinder.
-I assume either a rod broke or connecting rod cap and made contact.
-With all that, the car still runs (I know I know but only way to get it on the trailer and I figured it was bad enough anyway at that point)
-While cranking it over after removing the plugs checking for compression, the engine sounds just fine, no grinding or scraping or clanking.

I have started working on getting ready to the pull the motor, hopefully this week. Anyway I am trying to weight out my options as to what to do. I don't have a ton of money to dump into it, but at the same time I want it done right. I have time to wait, if need be, I am not in a rush to get it back on the road as long as it gets there.

Basically, I have never rebuilt a motor before and don't think this would be a very good "first try". These engines are pretty intimidating.

Does anyone know of a good shop or someone on the forum that rebuilds these at a resonable price in the South East Michigan area? At this point, I dont know if this engine is salvagable or not. If not, then I need to figure out if I can get ahold of a preferably, low mileage, used short block someone is selling I can just put in the car and go. I also figure, while I have the engine out, I want to finish my exhaust with some LT's and maybe even some UDP's.

Like I said, I dont have alot of money to spend, and the fact I still owe on the car sucks. I know alot of you are thinking "go all out and build it RIGHT" and so am I, but....

Also, another thing I could do, if just sell the car as is...The car is in excellent condition with only 34k on the body. Mods in sig and super clean. I owe $6,000 on the car. What do you suppose its worth as is?

Thanks for the input guys.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It would be a miracle if you got anywhere near 6k for the vehicle with a blown engine. Selling it would, in my opinion, be a poor choice at this point.

If I were you I would establish budget of what you’re comfortable spending to get the car back on the road. Not only will this help you define and weigh the options that are in your price range, but it will keep you in check with your spending because it’s WAY too easy to say, “Well, I’ll do this and this too while its apart, it’s only xxx dollars” and suddenly you’re hundreds of dollars over budget of what you originally intended to spend on the rebuild.

Some ballpark idea of what you’ve got to spend will also help others in making suggestions as to what they would do in your situation.

Last edited:

32VDOHC

Established Member
What do you recommend pulling the motor and trans or just the motor? It's going to be coming out the top....

Users who are viewing this thread