Weight attached to rear IRS

krman68

Established Member
I was installing my first mods to the 03 over the weekend. I put on a Flowmaster after cat system. The fit was great. I had the stock exhaust off in minutes and the FLowmaster pipes on in no time. I noticed that the pipes coming through the IRS suspension come into contact with a square piece of metal.

I looked and it didn't seem to do anything. I took it off and realized it was merely a weight (about 10-15lbs) the was mounted with 2 bolts. Does anyone know if this weight does anything? I've driven the car since with no ill effects

Russtang

Established Member
Was it attached to the differential? It might be the weight dampening "dogbone" Ford installs to keep diff vibration down.

I've got one on my solid axle stang...Don't know if they put them on the IRS though.

stang99

I took my car to a good muffler shop and they pulled the passanger side Flowmaster cat back and some extra bend in it until it cleared the weight perfectly. I figure that Ford, in their infinite wisdom, must have had a good reason to hang a weight from the diff, so I left it functional. The shop didn't charge too much to engineer the clearance for me and any good shop should be able to make the exhaust clear the weight.

Originally posted by krman68
I was installing my first mods to the 03 over the weekend. I put on a Flowmaster after cat system. The fit was great. I had the stock exhaust off in minutes and the FLowmaster pipes on in no time. I noticed that the pipes coming through the IRS suspension come into contact with a square piece of metal.

I looked and it didn't seem to do anything. I took it off and realized it was merely a weight (about 10-15lbs) the was mounted with 2 bolts. Does anyone know if this weight does anything? I've driven the car since with no ill effects

03kobra

Established Member
our cars are front heavy as you may know and they add these waits in the back to balance it out

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
No, no no 03kobra. They are there to dampen vibrations.

Tetge: If you haven't noticed any vibes from taking it off, just leave it off. No big deal.

REDRACERS

Established Member
I PUT MAGNAFLOW CAT BACK ON MIME AND THE WEIGHT DID NOT CLEAR THE EXHAUST--DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG???

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by 03kobra
our cars are front heavy as you may know and they add these waits in the back to balance it out

Perhaps others did not perceive your subtle humor...you were kidding, right?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I don't think he was. Heheh.

The reason the catbacks are hitting it is because they used an 99-01 IRS to design it and haven't tried their systems on an 03 yet or don't care that it doesn't fit if they have.

The weight is new for the IRS cars. New and improved!! Woohoo!

NWUCIT

Established Member
REDRACERS

I had the same problem with my initial install (passenger side pipe)...then realized I needed to rotate the short pipe (that connects to the H pipe) about 180 degrees....this allowed the tail pipe to miss the weight nicely...perfect fit....try it.

Acidus

Established Member
I was wondering what that weight was when installing the Bassini (which fit without any problems, btw). Minimizing vibration sounds right... its a small weight.

stang99

I never removed the weight. I did a slight modification to the Flowmaster American Thunder to make it fit. My car has vibs on its vibs. It hums and buzzes and shakes. It's a real Mustang, not one of them sissy cars that the magazines like so much. But, the weight needs to hang free to do whatever it is supposed to do. Besides. I needed some more weight at the rear of the car to help with my 60' times. The diff weight is staying on my car.

Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
No, no no 03kobra. They are there to dampen vibrations.

Tetge: If you haven't noticed any vibes from taking it off, just leave it off. No big deal.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I removed mine about 6-months ago and I haven't had any problems without it. It is an easy way to loss 15 Ibs.

krman68

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I've driven it 600 miles this week (1 long trip to Boston) and haven't noticed any vibe issues.

I'll keep it around if the vibe develops and I'll adjust the exhaust with a hammer if needed.

Thanks

Silver 03 Cobra

The "vibe dampener" came out of the 01 Cobras hombres. There is virtually no geometric difference in the exhaust routing. I dropped mine a few months ago and no vibe with 3.90 gears.

65M03Snake

Established Member
had the same problem with my flowmaster catback. i just left the weight off, no problems yet. had mine installed for about 3000 miles.

Zinc03

Established Member
Finally I could hold back no longer and began some minor mods. Magnaflow catback and X-pipe (no clearance issues with the weight). Two days later, UPR cold air, I'm checking the plugs this weekend. I think I'm addicted.

03'Darin

Established Member
I had the clearance problem with my Flowmaster system also. All I did was take the weight off.....grind of the area that hit....and put it back. I figured that it was there for a reason, so it stays.

Users who are viewing this thread