Weight difference in a 5.4 aluminum block?

Big 8

Established Member
I have seen the 5.4 aluminum blocks advertised out there. I was wondering what the weight loss would be had these been used on the R? One sight listed the block at 99 pounds? Anyone know what the cast block comes in at?

Also on the R the car has both front and rear bumpers for street use. Have any of you deleted these bumpers ? I guess they are only good for a 5mph impact anyway just curious?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I believe the iron 5.4 blocks were about 186lbs give or take, the 4.6 aluminum cobra blocks weigh about 88lbs bare. So youd save nearly 100lbs off the nose in the R. The real weight in all 4v's is the heads. The 2v4.6 Gt iron block motor, weighs nearly the same as the 4v4.6 aluminum cobra motor.

Just curious besides SHM who else has advertised an aluminum 5.4?

Last edited:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Actually... I believe the Iron Block 2V Gt motor weighs LESS than the DOHC ALUM Cobra Motor! :eek:

But your right... all due to the wieght of those Alum 4V heads! :(

Peace!

Dave

Big 8

Established Member
I had only seen them with SHM. I have read some talk from Colleti about the new 5.4 aluminum block. I was simply curious. I had recently read the articale in 5.0 about the R vs the 03.I just wonder what an R would be lie if it were 300 pounds lighter or heck even the regular Cobras for that matter?

Thanks for the replys.

Black99GT

Established Member
The GT block (I mean the GT-40, not a GT Mustang) is supposed to be offered to the public following the car's introduction. Aluminum 5.4, and apparently pretty beefy. I'm sure the cost will match the heft of the block.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread