Weight loss ideas

Ratfink

Established Member
i need too losse some pounds on my cobra i want it as light as possible without being silly i still have a steel hood so i need to swap that i know but any other ideas from anyone

keith89

Established Member
i need too losse some pounds on my cobra i want it as light as possible without being silly i still have a steel hood so i need to swap that i know but any other ideas from anyone

Steel hood? Factory 03-04 hood is fiberglass. Still heavy, but not as bad as steel
You can try a lighter battery and carbon fiber hood. I wish someone made stock style carbon fenders up front. I'm sure theres a lot of weight to be saved there. Probalby block out some of the road noise too.

Last edited:

Erick

Established Member
Lighten up the rotational mass like a aluminum driveshaft, lightweight wheels, 2-pc rotors, aluminum flywheel, etc.

Lightweight K-Member & coil-vers are a common remedy. Both the front & back seat weigh a bit much. Gutting the trunk and carrying a can of fix-a-flat around would help too.

There's a ton more to lose but it all depends on how many creature comforts you want to keep. ie. sound deadening, stereo, A/C, fog light delete, etc

VoodooSNK

Established Member
Lighten up the rotational mass like a aluminum driveshaft, lightweight wheels, 2-pc rotors, aluminum flywheel, etc.

Lightweight K-Member & coil-vers are a common remedy. Both the front & back seat weigh a bit much. Gutting the trunk and carrying a can of fix-a-flat around would help too.

There's a ton more to lose but it all depends on how many creature comforts you want to keep. ie. sound deadening, stereo, A/C, fog light delete, etc

Cobra's come stock with an aluminum flywheel and driveshaft. But if you spend some money on a nice K-Member (PSR or equivalent) that will net you 70ish lbs.

yelostang

Established Member
Cobra's come stock with an aluminum flywheel and driveshaft. But if you spend some money on a nice K-Member (PSR or equivalent) that will net you 70ish lbs.

He already has an aftermarket k-member, you have to have it for the turbo kit.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
LOL amazing the amount of stuff people don't know about this guy's car, including himself haha.

How the hell would carbon fiber fenders block the road noise?

-Lightweight battery (my battery and hold down weigh in around 13 lbs, I might sell them to you if you are interested)
-Lighter racing seats (my reclinable corbeau A4's weigh in about 50 lbs less than the stock seats, you'd save even more with fixed back seats or kirkeys)
-rear seat delete
-carbon fiber hood might help you a little, but some aftermarket fiberglass cowl hoods are even lighter
-AC can be removed as well as the radio. If you went to an aftermarket single DIN head unit, I bet you'd save a few pounds because the stock piece is beefy. You could take out just the rear speaker deck if you still wanna keep your tunes.
-swapping to a solid rear will save you about 100 lbs, but it seems you have upgraded you IRS quite a bit, so it might not be very cost effective.

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
LOL amazing the amount of stuff people don't know about this guy's car, including himself haha.

How the hell would carbon fiber fenders block the road noise?

-Lightweight battery (my battery and hold down weigh in around 13 lbs, I might sell them to you if you are interested)
-Lighter racing seats (my reclinable corbeau A4's weigh in about 50 lbs less than the stock seats, you'd save even more with fixed back seats or kirkeys)
-rear seat delete
-carbon fiber hood might help you a little, but some aftermarket fiberglass cowl hoods are even lighter
-AC can be removed as well as the radio. If you went to an aftermarket single DIN head unit, I bet you'd save a few pounds because the stock piece is beefy. You could take out just the rear speaker deck if you still wanna keep your tunes.
-swapping to a solid rear will save you about 100 lbs, but it seems you have upgraded you IRS quite a bit, so it might not be very cost effective.

They will not vibrate as much as the stock sheet metal panels. The sheet metal panels absorb tire roar and other vibrations which can be transmitted to other parts of the car.
The carbon fenders will not block road noise. It will reduce the transmission of the tire roar.
I already said lighter battery too.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
tiger racing makes fenders, hoods, trunk lids and fenders for these cars in fiberglass and carbon fiber.

keith89

Established Member
tiger racing makes fenders, hoods, trunk lids and fenders for these cars in fiberglass and carbon fiber.

Yes that's who I was thinking of. I believe they make the lighter carbon fiber trunk. Unfortunately, they only have widebody carbon fiber front fenders for the 99-04 mustangs.

Erick

Established Member
This is of of Corral.net
Not sure how accurate these are. These probably are not 03/04 Cobra specific but you get the idea:

Interior (stock) Weight (lbs)
Carpet 14
Center Console 7
Cobra R steering Wheel 7
Dash 25
Door Glass (each) 11
Driver side Airbag 2
Passenger side airbag 7.5
Driver side Cloth seat 48
Driver side Leather seat 52
Floor mats (each) 2.5
Passenger side Cloth seat 41
Passenger side Leather seat 43
Jack and iron 7
Front speakers (each) 2
CD player 2
Radio Head unit 2
Rear Mach 460 Box w/amps and speakers 22
Quarter window and Motor (convertible) (each) 11
Rear Cloth Seat w/ cushion 53
Rear Leather Seat w/ cushion 48
Rear head rest 4
Rear seat belts- top and bottom (each) 5
Side impact beams in door (each) 20
Sound deadening material (trunk, car, firewall)) 15
Sound deadening tar (trunk, car, behind panels, firewall) 7
Spare tire 25
Trunk board and carpet 5.5
Window motors (each) 2
Metal under dash by knees 3
Seat belt holders (each) 0.5
Manual seat track 7
Power seat track 14
Interior (Aftermarket)
Cobra Clubman seat 12
Kirky road race seat 18
RCI plastic race seat 10
Rookie MOMO coarse racing seat 11
Summit racing seat and cover 16
NEX racing seat 14.7
Custom rear seat delete kit 6
Exterior (stock)
Air bag sensors (each) 1
Black boxes and brackets behind rear tire (each) 4
Carbon canister 5
Convertible weight in passenger fender 25
Foglights w/ brackets (all models) (each) 4
Front bumper support 14
Smog pump and plumbing 8
Hood 99-00 (No scoop) 32
Hood 94-98 (stock) 30
Hood 99 Cobra 37
Rear bumper support 22.5
Gas tank 32.5
Winshield wipers 3
Spoiler-Wing 01-03 8
Spoiler-Wing 94-98 (stock) 8
Spoiler-Wing 94-95 (Cobra) 8
16 inch GT wheels (94-98) 22
17 inch GT wheels (94-95) 23
17 inch GT wheels (96-98) 22
17 inch GT wheels (99-03) 17
Cobra 17 X 8 (96-98) 24.5
Mach 1 wheels 26
Bullits 28
2000 Cobra R 18 X 9 29
Weight of gas per gallon 6.5
Exterior (aftermarket)
Cobra R's 17 X 9 24
Cobra R's 17 x 10.5 26
Kaenen Cobra R Hood (Bolt on) 18.5
Kaenen Cobra R Hood (Lift off) 10
Carbon fiber hood 18
MT ET Drag 26x8.5x15 20
Weld Pro star 15 X 3 8
Weld Pro star 15 X 8 15
Steeda Ultralites 17
Engine (stock)
Heater core and motor 18
A/C compressor and lines 30
A/C condensor 3
Battery 36
Catted H-pipe 45
Tailpipes (each) 10
Radiator 7
Power steering pump and bracket 15
Car horn (each) 0.5
Cylinder heads (each) 48
Headers (each) 7
Engine (aftermarket)
Dynabatt 13
MAC longtube headers (each) 11.25
MAC off-road H-pipe 15
MAC Pro-chamber 15
Vortech S-trim w/brackets 20
Aluminum Radiator 10
Aluminum Cylinder heads (each) 22-26
Suspension (stock)
A-arms (each) 13
K-member 58
Rear lower control arm (each) 6
Quad shock (each) 4
Shock (each) 2.5
Front Spring (each) 9
Rear spring (each) 6
Strut (each) 8
Strut tower brace 10
Front sway bar and mounts 17
Rear sway bar (94-03) 10
Rear Sway bar (86-93) 15
Upper control arm (each) 2.5
Suspension (aftermarket)
AJE Tubular K-member 24
UPR Tubular K-member 19
UPR Tubular A-arms (each) 5
UPR coil overs (each) 5
UPR caster chamber plates (each) 1
Griggs boxed LCA 7
MM/Pro3i LCA 6
UPR sway bar 13
Steeda sway bar 13
Front coil over (each) ?
Rear Coil over (each) ?
Drivetrain (stock)
Pinion Snubber 1
Clutch 3.5
Drivshaft 22
Half shaft Cobra 26
Mott bar (weight under rear end) 8
Pressure Plate 17
Trans T-5 75
Trans T-45 109
Flywheel 19
Drivetrain (aftermarket)
Centerforce DF disk 2.5
Drivshaft loop 10
Aluminum flywheel 13
FRPP Heavy Duty pressure plate 17
Steel bellhousing 48
Trans 3550 100
Trans T-56 115-129
Trans TKO 100
Trans 3650 120
Billet steel flywheel 26
Aluminum Driveshaft 12

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
You already have a majority of the normal weight loss parts. The k member is a huge factor. Without getting too stupid, just replace seats, those MF's are heavy, rear seat delete, and pull the factory sub box out the trunk and put some good 6x8's in there That's probably 120 lbs of savings without tearing the car completely apart.

WalMart sells a set of pioneer 6x8's for 70 bucks that bolt in perfectly and i think sound better honestly.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
You already have a majority of the normal weight loss parts. The k member is a huge factor. Without getting too stupid, just replace seats, those MF's are heavy, rear seat delete, and pull the factory sub box out the trunk and put some good 6x8's in there That's probably 120 lbs of savings without tearing the car completely apart.

WalMart sells a set of pioneer 6x8's for 70 bucks that bolt in perfectly and i think sound better honestly.

How is the bass compared to the stock rears?

I would like to swap speakers, but don't want to need a sub box for it to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread