weight loss option?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
shouldnt we get a weight loss option? just remove EVERYTHING that isnt necesary. anti-noise crap, stereo, AC, etc., etc. like the bullitt but more of an option instead of a special edition. i believe its mitsubishi that does this with the lancer evo RS(pretty sure its the RS). at that, they also offer it cheaper too, which only makes sense.

2k1cobra

Established Member
I think they should too just like chevy had stripper options for ss/z28's.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
we should but we will not. if anything we will get a gt350 or mach 1 or boss with a 400hp n/a engine. but there will be no weight reduction. the new mustang will weigh the same if not a more than the current gt's.

the closest thing ford has done in recent years to reduce weight in the mustang is when they offered the 5.0 in the lighter weight mustang lx. will they get a clue that todays mustang is to heavy? i doubt it.

Skywarp

Established Member
There should be a competition version of the car with no rear seat, a/c, radio, etc. Pontiac did something similar to this with the Firehawk in 1992.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
That would be a great option..

They've done it before in recent history.. (2000 Cobra R, and the 87-93 Mustang LX 5.0)

Delete all power options, delete the AC, cruise control, take out the back seat, Add in a slightly more agressive rear gear ratio.....Maybe they could even take a few bucks off the car?

They could call it the GT500 with the "KR" option.. :thumbsup: IT would definately be cool and help out with the weight issues.

Of course, Ford would never do this in reality. :rolleyes:
And honestly, even deleteing everything off the car would still leave you with a 3700 plus, pound lead weight, gas guzzler.. So whats the point? :( :shrug:

Last edited:

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
also didnt ford do it with the GTS 5.0 back in the mid 90s? at least i thought it was a stripper like version with no spoiler, fog lights, and base V6 interior if im not mistaken. i think it would be a cool idea.

however thats a good point Purvis that the car would probably still weigh a lot and if that would be the case it really wouldnt make a big difference to go from 4000 lbs to 3800 or whatever, its still a pig.

Trublu01

Established Member
Yeah SVT is going to make a "gutted" car! buy a base V6 and put a blown 5.4 in it along with upgraded rear and suspension. There ya go!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
What's funny is that they would probably charge more for a stripped down GT500 because it adds performance value. They offered a base model V8 for 95 and 96 as well. 95' was the GTS and the 96' was the "something" option. I enjoy A/C and music. I could do without power locks, but power windows are nice. If I spend $50,000 on a car, I want some ammenities.

Dave07997S

Established Member
Purvis said:
That would be a great option..

They've done it before in recent history.. (2000 Cobra R, and the 87-93 Mustang LX 5.0)

Delete all power options, delete the AC, cruise control, take out the back seat, Add in a slightly more agressive rear gear ratio.....Maybe they could even take a few bucks off the car?

They could call it the GT500 with the "KR" option.. :thumbsup: IT would definately be cool and help out with the weight issues.

Of course, Ford would never do this in reality. :rolleyes:
And honestly, even deleteing everything off the car would still leave you with a 3700 plus, pound lead weight, gas guzzler.. So whats the point? :( :shrug:

Agreed, also light weight wheels can save more weight and its rotational mass. Moving from a 30lb wheel to a 18 lb. wheel is almost 50 lbs rotational mass, this equated to almost 80lbs of dead weight. Get a light weight battery, Ford should offer a Recaro Pole Position seating ala M3 CSL and that could save another 50lbs. Now we are down in the high 3500's. Also, why hasn't Ford moved the battery of the new Mustangs to the passenger rear?? The damm thing is still in the engine compartment. At least they moved it to the passenger rear area of the engine compartment. I have 3 bimmers...a 03 325i(company car), 04 M3(my toy) and a 05 X3(wifey) all of which have the batteries over the right rear, and all of which have a 50/50 weight distribution.

Dave

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread