Weight loss

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Assuming that SVT doesnt do anything to lighten up the car before production, are there ways to drop weight off the car that would be feasible? The first thing that comes to my mind would be a aluminum block but that would be big money! Any ideas besides drastic measures like removing the rear seat?

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
blueovalkid said:
Assuming that SVT doesnt do anything to lighten up the car before production, are there ways to drop weight off the car that would be feasible? The first thing that comes to my mind would be a aluminum block but that would be big money! Any ideas besides drastic measures like removing the rear seat?

Sure, but they all cost money. Ford could have used an aluminum hood, light weight wheels, aluminum parts in the suspension etc........... All of that would drive the price up for sure.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
03Terminator said:
Sure, but they all cost money. Ford could have used an aluminum hood, light weight wheels, aluminum parts in the suspension etc........... All of that would drive the price up for sure.
I am pretty sure the car already had an aluminum hood.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
blueovalkid said:

Same stuff we have to do on our current fat pigs. :D

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
blueovalkid said:
What "stuff" would that be?

Swap to solid rear, lighter wheels, seat delete, racing seats, tubular K member, tubular A arms, etc etc...

I know you said you didn't want to do all those things, but those are our only options. As Ive always said, give me a lighter car. HP is a hell of a lot easier to make, then weight is to lose.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Well it already has a solid rear, so no need to swap. There will be some weight saving suspension/chassis parts available after production, but dont expect too much when you are starting from close to 2 TONS!

R1Lello

Established Member
:)

Weight can also mean strength............you will hit an occasional pothole, will the stang handle it better or the lightweight vette............I think we know the answer

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
If weight and economy is such a big issue, why not do something to lighten on of the biggest sources of unsprung weight...the rear axle. Alloy third member and axle housing, carbon fiber driveshaft etc......

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
If weight and economy is such a big issue, why not do something to lighten on of the biggest sources of unsprung weight...the rear axle. Alloy third member and axle housing, carbon fiber driveshaft etc......
Does anyone know if the GT 500 is supposed to have a aluminum driveshaft? Does the 05 Mustang GT already have one? That would probably be a good indication. I know this was one area that was a quick and easy weight savings on my 91 GT.

Users who are viewing this thread