Weight Reduction: How Do I Remove Big Carpet From Trunk Area? (Plz)

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
Hello... I'll try to keep it short and simple. I am trying to remove the trunk carpet to shed a couple (literally, lol) pounds from my Cobra. I noticed though that it is held in place by a bunch of plastic things which are possibly rivots located near where the hinge of the back seats are (where they fold up and down). If anyone could shed some light as to how to remove those plastic things without any cutting involved, I would appreciate it a lot. If cutting is involved, what would be the best way to do it? Thanks.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
The black rivet things should just pop off with a little force. I'm pretty sure to get to the ones toward the back seat you have to take the seat out. Which is not hard.

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
I checked them again and they are not screws... The top of the black plastic parts that hold in the carpet is just flat and turning them does not really do anything. I am worried that if I pull them out, that I will not be able to push them back in. What would be the "proper" way to remove them?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
flat head screw driver, pry em up....they'll go back in just fine, they are plastic push pins with ribs on the sides so turning them like screws won't work for ya

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
They really can't be removed without destroying them.

If you have a thin screwdriver, or even kitchen knife or interior trim removal tool then it will be easy to get under the head. Once you've done that, you just pull them out. They will be hard, but they will come out. Keep in mind that these are meant to be one time, one way fasteners. If you are really patient and careful, you might be able to reuse them.

In short...just pull them out. Get new ones if you decide to put it back in.

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
So somewhere beneath the carpet in that area, there are little holes? And then those plastic push pins were just pushed into those holes?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
ArcaneParadise said:
Does anyone know how to properly remove those plastic things?

Just rip them out, they cost pennies at Autozone or any other parts store if you mangle them. They are good for 3-5 uses if somewhat careful.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
They do make a tool that is specifically for removing these push pins and was one of the first tools I bought (right after the Pulley tool). The tool is inexpensive and can be purchased at almost any auto parts store. It looks like a 2 pronged fork.
You will be using it on a regular basis if you do any work on this car at all.

Dana

FKing1

Established Member
LTHL VNM said:
flat head screw driver, pry em up....they'll go back in just fine, they are plastic push pins with ribs on the sides so turning them like screws won't work for ya
This is how I took mine out when insulating the trunk area. They were not destroyed and I reused them simply by pushing in. Also, you must unscew the 2 tie down hooks at the rear of the trunk to get that piece loose. The plastic buttons are the same as the hood blanket ones and my dealer parts man gave me a half dozen for the hood when I lost a couple.
Fred

Vox

Master of Oversteer
Established Member
Its called an Interior Trim removal tool. It will take all those things out without breaking them. They are like 6 bucks at any parts store.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I just poped them out with a screw driver and they all went back in. Just be easy with them.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
supercoolsix said:
is taking out the carpet in the trunk really worth it???
how many lbs does it shed? 5lbs?
No its not.....but I had to pop some of those damn pins out to get the back seat out so I was just lending my opinion on how to get the push pins out.

Users who are viewing this thread