Weight Reduction Specifics

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
just picked up some cloth seats from a buddies v6.. awaiting a 99-04 manual seat track now, as his driver seat was power.

i shall report back soon with weight savings from these.

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
What was the weight of the full AC unit and all lines?

Also anyone know what the heater core and lines weigh as well?

I took those out long time ago and I don't remember what it was...

Presteige

Established Member
i finally got my aluminum block in and running but i also added that heavy ass KB 2.8h .. What is a good Tubular K member? Waht all is necessary in changing it and will it affect the daily driving?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
i finally got my aluminum block in and running but i also added that heavy ass KB 2.8h .. What is a good Tubular K member? Waht all is necessary in changing it and will it affect the daily driving?
I imagine it'll make up for it's weight with it's power.:beer:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
What was the weight of the full AC unit and all lines?

Also anyone know what the heater core and lines weigh as well?

I took those out long time ago and I don't remember what it was...

Somewhere around 30 lbs for the ac. Heater core isn't big so I would imagine less than 5 lbs.

yellowgt02

Established Member
Just a bump for this thread. Damn these cars are heavy. Full weight was around 3900lbs with me in and 1/4 tank fuel. I am around 240-250

I think I managed to get a good 160lbs last night from the car so far.(For this weekends racing at least)
Everything from the trunk
Rear Seats + Headrest (Headrest was just plastic....In my 02 GT, it was a solid piece)
Front swaybar will be off
Passenger seat out

It doesnt include Draglites up front and 95GT Wheels with ET Streets for the rear. Ill see if I can get it weighed at the track with a final weight.

yellowgt02

Established Member
Weighed the car today....No rear seats, nothing in the trunk (side panels, rear tire, trunk mat), draglites up front, SN95 Wheels w/ ET Streets.

1/2 tank of fuel

Me in the car: 3650
Curb: 3425

:) Im pretty happy that without a Tubular K, and IRS Still, Im pretty close o 3600lbs.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
New numbers for you guys.

Weights are from my bathroom scale. Numbers might not be 100% accurate, but it show a true savings.

oem 17x9 chrome 04 wheels with 275/40 riken raptors - 59lbs/ea
15x3.5 prostars w/ 165r15 metric radials - 29lbs/ea
SAVINGS: 60lbs

afss 17x10.5 chrome 04 wheels w/ worn nitto 315/35 555r's - 60lbs ea
15x8 prostars w/ 28x10.5x15 et drag slicks - 40lbs/ea
SAVINGS: 40lbs

thats 100lbs of rotating mass.. awesome!

Also, the nittos were worn completely. Brand new might be 2lbs more/ea. And the 26x10.5 et drags are a couple lbs lighter than the 28" I am using. Plus, et sportsman front runners are a few lbs lighter than the radials I am using. So, there is potential for another 10-12lb weight loss.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Just added a couple of new ones that I removed for the Terminator Shootout, (that just got cancelled......). Removed the bar that the lower rear seat cushion sits on. Weighs 5 lbs exactly. And then finally removed the rear amplifier for the drag strip outing. Another 23 pounds. When I get back from the track, it all goes back in the car except for K member kit, Mott bar, and exhaust system.

So, total reduction is 349.6 lbs. Race weight with my fat ass should be right around 3,565 lbs. My total weight reduction could/should reduce ET about 3/10's of a second and add 2-3 MPH int he 1/4 mile. Weight lost may as well be horsepower gained!

03' COBRA DRAG STRIP WEIGHT REDUCTION
Spare tire...................................-26.4 lbs
Jack/crow bar..............................-6.6 lbs
Trunk pad...................................-6.0 lbs!
Mott bar (under diff).....................-7.8 lbs
Front sway bar/brackets................-12.4 lbs
Rear seat bottom.........................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back.............................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest.......................-5.6 lbs
Rear seat bottom support bar........-5.0 lbs
Rear deck amplifier.....................-23.0 lbs

MAC LT's w/ OR Prochamber...........-10.0 lbs (stock mid pipe/manifolds=52.8, MAC LT's/Prochamber =42.8)
Odyssey battery/bracket................-22.2 lbs (stocker=37.6, Odyssey=15.4)
Front 15x3.5" Bogarts/ET Front........-53.2 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Skinny setup=23.2 each)
Rear 16x10" Bogarts/Hoosier FS.......-26.8 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Rear setup=36.4 each)
UPR K member kit.........................-65.0 lbs
Front Passenger Seat.....................-43.0 lbs

Total......................................-349.6 lbs!!!

yellowgt02

Established Member
How hard was it to remove the rear amplifier rack? I might have to try that for next year.

Maybe find a manual track V6 Seat to bolt in for those days to get rid of the heavy ass drivers seat :rockon:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
How hard was it to remove the rear amplifier rack? I might have to try that for next year.

Maybe find a manual track V6 Seat to bolt in for those days to get rid of the heavy ass drivers seat :rockon:

Just a few bolts and amp connections then it all drops out.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Just added a couple of new ones that I removed for the Terminator Shootout, (that just got cancelled......). Removed the bar that the lower rear seat cushion sits on. Weighs 5 lbs exactly. And then finally removed the rear amplifier for the drag strip outing. Another 23 pounds. When I get back from the track, it all goes back in the car except for K member kit, Mott bar, and exhaust system.

So, total reduction is 349.6 lbs. Race weight with my fat ass should be right around 3,565 lbs. My total weight reduction could/should reduce ET about 3/10's of a second and add 2-3 MPH int he 1/4 mile. Weight lost may as well be horsepower gained!

03' COBRA DRAG STRIP WEIGHT REDUCTION
Spare tire...................................-26.4 lbs
Jack/crow bar..............................-6.6 lbs
Trunk pad...................................-6.0 lbs!
Mott bar (under diff).....................-7.8 lbs
Front sway bar/brackets................-12.4 lbs
Rear seat bottom.........................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back.............................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest.......................-5.6 lbs
Rear seat bottom support bar........-5.0 lbs
Rear deck amplifier.....................-23.0 lbs

MAC LT's w/ OR Prochamber...........-10.0 lbs (stock mid pipe/manifolds=52.8, MAC LT's/Prochamber =42.8)
Odyssey battery/bracket................-22.2 lbs (stocker=37.6, Odyssey=15.4)
Front 15x3.5" Bogarts/ET Front........-53.2 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Skinny setup=23.2 each)
Rear 16x10" Bogarts/Hoosier FS.......-26.8 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Rear setup=36.4 each)
UPR K member kit.........................-65.0 lbs
Front Passenger Seat.....................-43.0 lbs

Total......................................-349.6 lbs!!!

That much weight reduction will actually be worth a little more than that, being that some of it is rotational mass.:banana:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.

Six 10mm bolts that unscrew from the top and about six wire connections and it's out. Stereo doesn't sound very good without it though......:bash:

I thought about the V6 seat idea. Even found one in a junkyard for $150. But the seat belt logistics was kind of a turn off.:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread