weird noise

jknowles4

Established Member
The past couple of days I have been hearing a weird noise coming from my truck. It's kinda of hard to explain but is coming from either the pulley's or the supercharger. It is a constant whine on idle and increases when I drive the truck. It sounds like the supercharger does when it is in boost, but this sound is on idle and driving. It just started doing this since the weather got cold here in Oklahoma. When I am under boost the supercharger sounds like it always did, but when not under boost you can still hear the whining sound. Sometimes it is pretty loud and sometimes you can't hear it at all. I know the description is kinda vague but any ideas will help. Thanks guys!!

ron_lightning04

Established Member
aww i had the same noise on my 2000 dont worrie i would say you just love your truck and dont want nothn to happen to it i am the same way but best of luck mang

lates ron,

jknowles4

Established Member
Yes I do love this truck but it just seemed weird that this noise came on all the sudden. All day today I heard it and can not seem to find what it is.

ShaneN.

Established Member
kinda of o/t but when i turn out my truck now the noise it usually makes for the seatbelt (the ding ding ding) now sounds like it's coming from the terminator after it got it's ass kicked. kinda weird.

stubbs

Established Member
It could be your serpintine belt thats what mine is doing right now, but it eventually goes away after the engine is warmed up. I need a new one but I am not going to change till I get my 4#er and my new belt. Then now more squeaks, but good luck with your truck, and I hope everything works out ok.

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
Its your belt, its probably dried out mine did the same thing and I was worried just like you. I took it to the dealer and they told me my pulleys were messed up that it was the bearings in my idler pulleys, luckally for me im a car guy and told them to kiss my a$$. I ordered a new belt problem solved.

Here is a easy way to test it, get a wax candle and put it on the end of a screw driver, while engine is running place the candle against the inside of the of the belt just under the blower pulley and apply some pressure, watch out for the fan blades, allow the entire belt to pass over the candle and the sqeek should be getting softer and softer, this is only a temp fix and will sqeek again in a couple of days. they make a speacial compound just for that but a candle does the job, but make sure to get a new belt.

jknowles4

Established Member
svtfeek,
Thanks!!!! I tried this and the noise went away slightly so I think that is what it is. I am a car guy like you and try to fix everything I can before I take it in to the shop. It always seems those guys are trying to screw ya. I appreciate all the info. from everyone. Well, now that gives me a good excuse (for the wife) to get a 4# or 6# pulley with my Christmas money (new belt=new pulley). Thanks again!!!!!!

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
SvtTj85 said:
It could be your serpintine belt thats what mine is doing right now, but it eventually goes away after the engine is warmed up. I need a new one but I am not going to change till I get my 4#er and my new belt. Then now more squeaks, but good luck with your truck, and I hope everything works out ok.

Mine did the same thing and I put a gator back belt and it took care of my problems!

Users who are viewing this thread