Weird noise????

black2003svt

Established Member
I have a noise from the front of the motor that sounds like rocks in a can. I think it might be the belt tensioner but not sure. The arm on the belt tensioner seems to move a lot. I put a screw driver up to it and listened (VERY NOISY). I took it off and it seems fine (no play but does not spin super easy) Just wondering if maybe it gets worse when under pressure. Any ideas??? Hand checked the rest of the pulleys and they seem fine. Thanks

black2003svt

Established Member
Thanks but this noise is a rattle. Im pretty sure its the tensioner. Ordered a new one($56:banana:) and it should be in on Mon.

black2003svt

Established Member
No f-ing luck:fm: Changed the tens pulley and it sounds the same...... Took the blower belt off and the sound goes away.:shrug: We checked every pulley and they all seem fine (god I hope its not my KB). Car is going to Md this week so ken can take a look at it.

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
No f-ing luck:fm: Changed the tens pulley and it sounds the same...... Took the blower belt off and the sound goes away.:shrug: We checked every pulley and they all seem fine (god I hope its not my KB). Car is going to Md this week so ken can take a look at it.

Let us know what it is . . . I may have him take a look at mine if the belt doesn't fix it . . .

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Are you running stock idlers? Reason why I ask is because when I was just pulley'd one of my stock idlers blew out and if my mind recalls right there was a noise like how you are describing coming from that area. It would be noisy only under a load and it was for like a day or two until the idler broke. The exactly idler that went out was the one located right next to the crank pulley.

s_x_i

Established Member
Sounds like a bearing on one of your pulleys. I had it happen with my upper idler. It took us forever to figure it out, the giveaway is that it stops when you take the belt off. You can't hear it when there's no tension on the pulleys so checking them with the belt off wont help.

I used to work in a cycle shop, so I knew to test the pulleys off of the motor. Take each one off, starting with the idler and spin it on your finger. You will be able to feel through your finger tip which one has a bad bearing... something which you will not be able to determine if the pulley is still on the car.

I strongly suggest replacing anything stock with a BF kit...

black2003svt

Established Member
Sounds like a bearing on one of your pulleys. I had it happen with my upper idler. It took us forever to figure it out, the giveaway is that it stops when you take the belt off. You can't hear it when there's no tension on the pulleys so checking them with the belt off wont help.

I used to work in a cycle shop, so I knew to test the pulleys off of the motor. Take each one off, starting with the idler and spin it on your finger. You will be able to feel through your finger tip which one has a bad bearing... something which you will not be able to determine if the pulley is still on the car.

I strongly suggest replacing anything stock with a BF kit...

Thanks. I do have 3 stock idlers so maybe thats whats going on.

Evs04Snake

Established Member
Are you running stock idlers? Reason why I ask is because when I was just pulley'd one of my stock idlers blew out and if my mind recalls right there was a noise like how you are describing coming from that area. It would be noisy only under a load and it was for like a day or two until the idler broke. The exactly idler that went out was the one located right next to the crank pulley.

What Screamin Cobra described is almost exactly my experience.
Click on the link I posted here earlier for a pic of the damage.
I heard a fast clicking noise for 2-3 days then I felt something let go while on highway...noise was extremely bad..like a can of marbles bad!
Amazingly...it did not rip the belt.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
What Screamin Cobra described is almost exactly my experience.
Click on the link I posted here earlier for a pic of the damage.
I heard a fast clicking noise for 2-3 days then I felt something let go while on highway...noise was extremely bad..like a can of marbles bad!
Amazingly...it did not rip the belt.

Lol, I remember that sound. It sounded just like a can of marbles and thats exactly what I said to myself. Unfortunately I was on the side of the road with a shredded belt. I did manage to make it to the auto store to get a new one which was less than a mile down the road.

Evs04Snake

Established Member
Lol, I remember that sound. It sounded just like a can of marbles and thats exactly what I said to myself. Unfortunately I was on the side of the road with a shredded belt. I did manage to make it to the auto store to get a new one which was less than a mile down the road.

I still wonder how a bad idler pulley could produce that god awful noise.
I thought something internal let go like rod or something.
When the repair shop said it was just the pulley I was like:banana:

black2003svt

Established Member
Ken just picked the car up and said by the way its running its nothing in the motor. He will get it in his shop tomorrow and figure it out. Im def going to replace ALL the idler pulleys. Thanks for everyones help (this shit drives me NUTS:fm: not knowing what it is). I will let you guys know what he finds.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
I still wonder how a bad idler pulley could produce that god awful noise.
I thought something internal let go like rod or something.
When the repair shop said it was just the pulley I was like:banana:

No kidden man, I thought my motor blew too or something because it did not sound good at all when that idler gave. And to lose boost and for the car to just fall on its face like it did was just scary.

black2003svt

Established Member
Well KenB called and said he replaced all the pulleys and you can still hear it. WTF.... He said dont worry he will find it.

Users who are viewing this thread