Weird Problem with the truck.

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
I have been havening this very weird problem with my truck the last two days. yesterday truck ran fine on the way to school and when i started it up and left. I then go to my brother school and the truck sat for about 25 mins while i waited for him and when i started it back up it idles very hard so bad the truck shakes. As soon as i put it in reverse it go even worse. So i shut it off waited a minute and started it again, put it in reverse and it died. Battery light came on. So i called my dad and he came and we looked at everything and didn't see anything wrong drove it around the parking lot and it went away. The problem goes away as soon as the truck is warmed up.

Today it did it when i started it up after school and stooped right before i got to my brothers school and by then the truck was warm. The truck didn't idle as hard in neutral as it did in drive.

i don't think its a plug or a coil pack because it would do it all the time not just when the truck is cold.

sethlovesfords

Established Member
I'd say its your idle control valve (IAC) thing. If they get dirty they will definatley mess up your idle because they cannot get an accurate reading of the air. It's real easy to clean, and even if thats not the problem, it will eliminate one of the possibilities? :shrug:
Here is the How to thread for this job:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123621
I'm sure some of the pro's will help you out too I don't know a whole lot...
Theres my $.02:bored:

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Definately the IAC, Take it out and clean it with carb cleaner. This pic shows you the 2 bolts and electric connection that holds it in place...

IAC.jpg

Once its somewhat cleaned, your truck will probably be fine. In that case you should probably buy a new one to fix the issue 100%. Just cleaning it is... to use "ride the"'s example; its like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound (lol).

Hope that helps!

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
^^^^

Or like a fat girl wearing a belly shirt.............just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Last edited:

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Yeah its probably just dirty where sometime it would do it and sometimes not.. Thats just the start of it.. Happened with a 99L over here. Turned out to be the IAC, good call on changing it. Its good security! :thumbsup:

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
Yeah its probably just dirty where sometime it would do it and sometimes not.. Thats just the start of it.. Happened with a 99L over here. Turned out to be the IAC, good call on changing it. Its good security! :thumbsup:

yea i cleaned it yesterday. thing was nasty. i drove it a few times yesterday starting it cold twice and it was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread