Weird Traffic Stop??

Iman01

Established Member
I was speeding (70 in a 55) on some Iowa back road, got pulled over, was polite, got what I deserved, a ticket.

The interesting piece of this story starts with a neon behind me that was going just as fast. The deputy got next to the neon and somehow gestured for the neon to pull over behind him, then lit me up. He made a traffic stop with a car in front of and behind him. He didn't seem to be concerned with it, I watched him in my mirrors and he wasn't keeping much of an eye on me when dealing with the neon. I was under the impression that was a dangerous situation for an officer to be in. Are there any other departments that do this type of stuff?

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
This same thing happened to me in Newport Beach on PCH many years ago. Me and my buddy were racing (me in an IROC, he in an older Saleen). So we're coming up over the bridge and wammo, a parked Saleen COP car lights em up and comes after us. Let's just say he caught up to has pretty fast. My buddy was ahead of me cause his car was faster, so the cop gets next to me and gestures me to pull over behind him. He then gets behind my buddy and we both follow him to the side. When we stopped the cop was between us. I don't remember if there were 2 cops or not, but he/they eventually talked to both of us, but luckily only gave us a warning. Probably cause my buddy was driving a Saleen too!

So yes, I think it does happen if the cop doesn't suspect any danger.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Yes, This is not too unusual for me that is. I have stopped ten truck tractor semi-trailers at one time and wrote all of them. Yes, I did call for a backup unit. The nearest town was fifteen miles away. On four wheelers, six at one time. If the officer doesn't feel threatened by body language/demeanor then he/she should be Okay. I routinely do double taps all the time. Thanks for being nice to the officer though!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
As Iceman pointed out if the officer doesnt feel threatened or see signs of aggression or abnormal behavior this is an acceptable practice.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me. Was pissed that my friend had made me go all the way to Blockbuster to get a movie he owned (and his house was closer than BB was) and then Blockbuster being out of the movie, so after the car in front of me pulled out of the strip mall, I pulled out hard (no traction loss or anything though). Was behind the car about 3 car lengths doin about 37 in a 30 when my friends points out there is a cop behind us. Apparently the car in front noticed it as well, and basically slammed on the breaks to get down to 30. By this point the cop was basically tailgating me, so I chose to slow down more smoothly, which caused me to catch up to the other car. At this point the cop throws on the flashers and pulls over the car in front of me, stopping in the middle of the road. I asked him if I should go around and he says,"pull over." He almost immediately lets the car in front of me go, and then comes and charges me with speeding, tailgating and running a stop sign and accuses me of harassing the girls in the car in front of me (I thought they were guys and sure as heck wasn't harassing them, but he didn't believe me). Luckily after drilling me hard for about 20 minutes, calling backup, and making me get out of the car, he lets me go with a warning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread